PDA

View Full Version : Update on SDUDE pick-up

Sdude
11-05-2011, 01:47 PM
The front sheet metal has been placed back on for a test fit. The radiator support is going to have to be removed and reconfigured to fit the new radiator. It will be wider and lower.

The computer is being programmed and the exhaust system is in. The brakes are all hooked up and bled.

Not ready to start it yet but soon.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6043/6315345111_db9be24b1b_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6119/6315887036_5fdfbe6df2_b.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
11-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Lookin' good, Jon!

55coupe
11-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Jon hows the ac looking? Will we see your truck on the mystrey trip?

FlatheadGeo
11-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I like the color!!!

Sdude
11-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Jon hows the ac looking? Will we see your truck on the mystrey trip?

The AC looks great under the dash but he has yet to finish it. It won't be ready this month. We haven't even started it yet. I did get to feel the new gas pedal and the shifting lever is all set up. The clutch pedal starter is set up but it needs a stronger spring. It needs to feel like you are depressing a clutch pedal. He said he could do that.

We discussed where to put the battery. He's going to build a battery box in front of the glove box.

I love the 3 inch exhaust pipe.

Maybe I'll be able to drive it to the Christmas party in Rocklin.

Xcrbudman
11-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Good looking truck Jon, the color is awesome!

ST2DE5
11-05-2011, 05:19 PM
I put my battery under the seat on my 49. I made a battery carrier and bolted it to the frame. You have to get under the truck to change battery's but how often do you do that.

Corvanti
11-05-2011, 05:20 PM
i'd be like timothy leary's brother, "really leary", about putting the battery behind the glove box. (sorry, i stole that line from geo carlin)...
leaks, etc.
i do love it almost as much as i love your bullet nose. :)

Sdude
11-05-2011, 06:55 PM
i'd be like timothy leary's brother, "really leary", about putting the battery behind the glove box. (sorry, i stole that line from geo carlin)...
leaks, etc.
i do love it almost as much as i love your bullet nose. :)

So what's the downside of that? It'll be under the hood and easy to access. Perhaps you misunderstood and thought I meant inside the cab. I'll be putting an optima battery in it. They are a little smaller.

kmac530
11-05-2011, 07:09 PM
My C-cabs battery is "in front" of the glove box, hehehe, and it has been there for 62 years, leaks have not yet been a problem and since almost every new battery for cars is "maintanace FREE" and unless punctured dont leak, I am not too stressed about leaks in my engine compartment from battery acid.

Sdude, you truck is beautiful. Can not wait to see it all done.

Corvanti
11-05-2011, 07:27 PM
i'm probably comparing apples to oranges but - my '40 had to have the front carpet replaced due to the battery leaking, at some point prior to my purchase, according to the previous owner. i pulled the battery right after i got it, and all looked fine. the battery was a year old.

a couple months later, when i took the battery out to put on "correct" cables, underneath the battery and firewall had some holes that weren't there the first time.

probably nothing to worry about on yours, but if had a choice, i wouldn't want to put the battery anywhere near the firewall...

had a similar problem with my '99 corvette - they put the battery directly above the main 'puter...

i guess what i'm saying is if you have an alternate choice of location, i'd consider it...

candbstudebakers
11-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Jon, small world Bill Williams is a good friend and he came by the shop he other day and said he bought all you parts from the truck, all I said was why???

Sdude
11-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Jon, small world Bill Williams is a good friend and he came by the shop he other day and said he bought all you parts from the truck, all I said was why???

He got a lot of good stuff for what he and I agreed was a pretty fair price. He should have all he needs to get his truck on the road. And I didn't throw anything away.

He's happy and I'm happy and the parts got recycled. That should make you happy.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6053/6318228275_cf5bef3471_b.jpg

candbstudebakers
11-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Ya he is very happy but his back ground in racing a "6" cyl?? no really it was a super deal for the person that wanted just that and he will put it to very good use, Jon you will see and hear it again in his truck, he gets things done, enjoy yours with the new set up...Bob

Sdude
11-06-2011, 11:47 AM
I hope you scrolled the picture to the right to see the smile on Bills face. He sent me a picture of his truck and I posted it on a previous thread. I'm glad I was able to put the parts in capable hands.