Offenhauser 2706 dual carb intake for the flathead 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Offenhauser 2706 dual carb intake for the flathead 6

Does anyone run this Offenhauser dual carburetor intake manifold?

It says it fits 39-52 Champion 170 and 185 motors, and says specifically it does not fit the Commander 239 or 240. I would be looking to run this on my 1948 Land Cruiser with the 226. From the looks of it, the bolt pattern looks the same. Does anyone know if this would work on my 226 (or with some machining)?

I'd hate to kill my old Stude's incredible gas mileage, but the rat rodder in me has a hankering to run dual carbs.

No, it wont fit the Commander engine. It's considerably larger, and the ports won't come close to matching.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

These used to show up for Commander sixes some years ago. It seems to me that I have one somewhere, but who knows where. If memory serves, they were made by Edmonds or another Southern California company.

BTW, I have never seen a dual carb setup on a Studebaker that actually worked. Somehow the linkage and the choke system never seems to get done correctly. At the zone meet in Reno a few years back someone had dual carbs on his 50 or 51 Champion and the choke system, not being done right, fouled his spark plugs. He was looking for new plugs to install so he could get back home.

It has nothing to do with Studebaker engines, but more of a reflection on the guys who installed the dual system and thought things like chokes and choke unloaders, and choke stoves and such were not necessary.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I guess these manifolds are for the later type carbs. The carb footprint on these manifolds does not match my carb on a 1948 M15A. I guess I would have to buy two carbs...$$$
        1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
        See rescue progress here on this blog:
        http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yes, there is a lot more to tuning a dual carburetor setup than just putting it all together! It seems most setups work best with an operational choke on one carb and the choke flap entirely removed from the 2nd carb.

I will have to keep an eye out for a Commander dual carb intake. Edmunds made them for several vehicles, and I'm sure they made a few for the Commander/Land Cruiser as well. I'm in a neverending search for an Edmunds head and intake for my Willys for the Continental/Kaiser 226 flathead 6, so now I'll just have to broaden my search for the Studebaker intake as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SiLiconD17 View Post
            Thanks for the info. Yes, there is a lot more to tuning a dual carburetor setup than just putting it all together! It seems most setups work best with an operational choke on one carb and the choke flap entirely removed from the 2nd carb.

I will have to keep an eye out for a Commander dual carb intake. Edmunds made them for several vehicles, and I'm sure they made a few for the Commander/Land Cruiser as well. I'm in a neverending search for an Edmunds head and intake for my Willys for the Continental/Kaiser 226 flathead 6, so now I'll just have to broaden my search for the Studebaker intake as well.
            Would your Kaiser motor have had the "Super Sonic" head on it originally?
            As I ahve one.
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
              Would your Kaiser motor have had the "Super Sonic" head on it originally?
              As I ahve one.
              Good Roads
              Brian
              Brian...such a random question...why would anyone have a Super Sonic head hanging around??? Just wondering because I do too...got mine from our local pick-a-part. Thought it was cool, so pulled it off as I couldn't stand to see it go to the crusher...yanked off the horn cap too. The horn cap is hanging on my living room wall, and I took the head to school and plunked it on a table in my office where it sat for the last 5 years...have no idea what I'm going to do with is, just loved the look of it. Kinda large paper weight right now. Regards, Junior.
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Just my two cents- I have to agree with RadioRoy. I have just enough experience with multi-carb setups to know they can be very difficult to manage unless one in very knowledgeable or VERY patient. And, today's fuels will multiply that difficulty. I have enough challenge keeping a stock single-carb setup working as it should.

I completely get the 'cool' factor, and if you're up for it, I would not want to discourage you. But if you want reliability and performance increase, understand that you might be very disappointed.

Good luck!
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I will certainly keep my eyes open for these vintage speed parts.

The Continental/Kaiser L6-226 in my Willys Jeep wagon does not have the "Super Sonic" head. For the 226s used in the Willys pickups and wagons, they have "Willys Super Hurricane" printed on them instead. I've heard that some of the Kaiser Super Sonic heads have slightly higher compression ratios than the Willys Super Hurricane heads. The Super Sonic heads do look cool as novelty items!

Comment

How about this?

Comment

Originally posted by SiLiconD17 View Post

Two things: having had two Corvairs with the 140 hp 4x1 bbl carburetor engine, I entirely agree. Keeping the suckers in tune, even when set up in the first place with the correct stuff, was one Saturday's work a month.

Second--if you are looking for an Edmunds head and intake for the Willys version of the KFW 226 Continental, you might try posting on the KFOCI forum at www.kfclub.com I'm unsure if you have an Aero or a Willys Jeep with a 226. One thing to remember is that the 226 Continental is an engine very unsuited to any actual hoping up of any sort. Many of the 226 with the supercharger in 54-55 Kaiser Manhattan have died over the years--even though the increase in horsepower was only 22 (to 140 from the 118 with a 2 bbl carb) using the McCullough with some internal upgrades for durability. (The McC setup is almost identical as Studebaker used 57-58 other than using a 6volt solenoid.) Actually, even without supercharging they tend to die if used for long on the high side of 3,000 RPM. I've already rebuilt my 49 Kaiser 226, and the local garage guy is a wealth of practical knowledge on this industrial engine having rebuilt scores if not hundreds of these Continental industrial engines used in tractors, fork lifts, and mobile pumps/generators/compressors. He actually still uses a 226 powered mobile compressor. The Head on a Willys engine has a different name...I think my old Willys Aero 161 F head six had "Hurricane" on it, and likely the Willys 226 had "Super Hurricane" on it as well--its been a while since I looked at a Willys 226 engine

Don't expect much out of a 226, but I'm sure it will LOOK very attractive!
                      Last edited by Jim B PEI; 11-08-2011, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X