Notre Dame Edition Avanti ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame Edition Avanti ?

While getting new tires for my Stude at a South Bend tire store a young man that worked there told me his family has a 1982 Notre Dame Edition Avanti that is blue with a gold interior and only 50 were made. It is for sale for about $1300 and supposedly in pretty good shape. I've never heard of such a thing and being a lifelong Stude fan and unfortunately N.D. fan am wondering if this is possible or a wish on his part. I can't find anything to back his story but it would be cool if true.

Regardless, any Avanti for $1300 is worth grabbing.

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
      While getting new tires for my Stude at a South Bend tire store a young man that worked there told me his family has a 1982 Notre Dame Edition Avanti that is blue with a gold interior and only 50 were made. It is for sale for about $1300 and supposedly in pretty good shape. I've never heard of such a thing and being a lifelong Stude fan and unfortunately N.D. fan am wondering if this is possible or a wish on his part. I can't find anything to back his story but it would be cool if true.

The young man has been misinformed. Sure you could order a blue Avanti II with a gold interior and call it anything, but that's about it.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Hey Tim, I'll stop by this evening and buy it for $1,300.!!!

Don't recall a ND Edition Avanti, but AM General carrying on a long tradition of local vehicle manufacturers did make a "Special Edition" for Bob Davie 1996 HUMMER (H1). As far as I know they probably still have it somewhere around. It was a high metallic dark Blue Wagon model with Gold pin stripes.
        Last edited by Welcome; 11-04-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I figured but thought I'd ask the experts.

Comment

Oop's! Wrong number of 0's. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
              The young man has been misinformed. Sure you could order a blue Avanti II with a gold interior and call it anything, but that's about it.
              I agree. Some years back I went to the first home my parents ever owned and found it painted burgundy and gold...Washington Redskins colors. Was that a "Special Edition Washington Redskins" home? Nope...just a house someone painted that way. The same goes for an Avanti...someone who must have been a Notre Dame alumnus specially ordered the car that way...just another Avanti done to a customer's order.

I know there's a lot of mystery surrounding the Avanti and myths along with it...but fifty cars in a special edition heretofore never heard of? That's probably about 25% or more of the year's production.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I figured but thought I'd ask the experts.
                Tim, if you're going to pass on that Avanti, PM me with whatever info you know about it. TIA

Comment

Oop's! Wrong number of 0's. Sorry.
                  You mean only $130.???

Comment

how many 0's?!
                    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

If it's 13,000, that's about tops for an 82 Avanti. I sold a nearly immaculate '82 with 50K miles earlier this year for a friend, nice original silver paint and maroon interior and nearly every single option, as well as custom made Dayton knock-off wire wheels. It sold for 12K. The blue and gold color scheme might make for a tough sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        ...someone who must have been a Notre Dame alumnus specially ordered the car that way...just another Avanti done to a customer's order.

I know there's a lot of mystery surrounding the Avanti and myths along with it...but fifty cars in a special edition heretofore never heard of? That's probably about 25% or more of the year's production.
                        It if really was a special edition, it would have the 'ND' logos on it somewhere, but as others have stated, it was probably a customer request. Still, it would be interersting to see the production order on it due to its unique color scheme.

Craig

Comment

The first issue of Collectable Automobile in 1985 had a big article on the history of the Avanti and a feature on Steve Blake taking over...and his hopes and dreams (poor guy).
                          I believe he said that many mid-70s early 80s pre-Blake cars were ordered in school colors by wealthy alumni. I bet there are more than a few gaudy "special editions" out here.

Besides by 1982, I'm sure Avanti couldn't affiord to make 50 identical cars on speculation hoping to sell them to ND alumni. Remember, by that time Avantis were pretty high dollar cars.
                          And they only made 188 cars that year.
                          Avanti was produced, from 1962 until 1991, except in 1986. The first Avantis, manufactured by Studebaker, were 1963 models.
                          Last edited by JBOYLE; 11-05-2011, 12:07 PM.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

OK This is the second Avanti I have heard of in South Bend with this color combo. The first I saw many years ago @ Preferred Collision body shop on Mishawaka Avenue.It is located by Farmers Market. The body shop owner,Jim Welker had the car in for a complete color change for its new owner. The prior owner was supposed to be a priest @ Notre Dame who ordered it in school colors. The gold interior did NOTHING to complement the then faded baby blueish exterior color IMO. So maybe there is something to the guys theory? Jim still owns Preferred Collision and they are in the phone book,so call him and ask him what he remembers. This was back at a time when Jim had a partner named Dave who worked there too. I worked next door @ Chicago Radiator.

Comment

The defining element of such car(s) would be Official University Logos of whatever school was in question, be it Notre Dame or whatever. If there was/were one (or more) specific Notre Dame identifier(s) on the car, the school would have had to authorize it.

'Good comment on the Official Washington Redskins House, Bruce. Right around the corner from us (this is suburban Indianapolis, remember) is a University of Tennessee fan. His brick house's trim is painted bright orange and white, there are alternating orange and white uprights in his fence, and his walkway has alternating orange and white concrete steps.

It sounds a bit much, but it's really more amusing than offensive. (Of course, we don't live right next door, either.) BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X