Is my Avanti an R3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Avanti an R3

My grandfather gave me, what he said was a Studebaker Avanti R3. He said it was a 1963. Under the hood there is a tag that says "RO 3593". It has a Paxton Supercharger in it... Does anyone have any idea if it is an R3? Or what it might be?

If it is a 1963 model, it is NOT an R3 (all R3s were built as 1964s). It is probably an R2.
    Post the engine and serial numbers of the car and we will tell you more.
    You posted the body number. The serial number is on a plate on the top of the frame down below the general area where you found the body number. The engine number is STAMPED into the top, left, front of the block. You may be able to get the serial number off the title or registration.
    From that body number, it is probably near the end of the 1963 model year and may have even been titled/registered as a 1964, but still not an R3.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Like Gary said, as a '63 it can't be one of the nine factory R3 cars. But, engines were available and lots of things can be swapped and changed over the last 48 years. R3 engines are few and far between. Could you post some photos? Or if you could email them to me, I could post them easily enough. mbstude@gmail.com

Comment

What the others said. Also, a genuine, or even a clone R3 will have the carburetor in a cast aluminum pressure box with a big "R3" badge on the top front. R2 cars have a shiny aluminum intake elbow or "hat" connecting the supercharger to the carburetor.

Now it may be that your uncle did at one time build the engine to R3 specs, including R3 heads and intake manifold, and chose to keep the R2 carb setup. You would probably have to find head and intake casting numbers to verify that. Or get very detailed photos of the heads and intake manifold.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by trix177 View Post
          My grandfather gave me, what he said was a Studebaker Avanti R3. He said it was a 1963. Under the hood there is a tag that says "RO 3593". It has a Paxton Supercharger in it... Does anyone have any idea if it is an R3? Or what it might be?
          WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

Comment

If it has R3 heads it will have a casting number on the heads at the center exhaust port of 1555479.

Comment

Alan, Here is a photo of what an Avanti R3 engine should look like:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	P9280088.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1670996
              Here is what an R2 engine looks like:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010023.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1670997

Comment

I just sent some pics to you... They are from my phone... Sorry the quality isn't that great on some...

Comment

Okay kids. Here's the pics. It has an R3 airbox and the extra breather tube. What ya say, experts?

Comment

It has the visual appointments of an R3...to make absolutely sure the car should be shipped to me for verification. I'll get back to you in a couple of years about it.

To be honest...it looks like a modified '63. It has the '63 console and '64 cowl vents along with a '63 3EE battery. The car itself could be one of the transition cars and had an R3 retrofitted and customized. It looks like an R3 engine but numbers are needed from the block and heads for verification. It does look to have an 8 grand tach.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

As gunny says, numbers would be nice. And shouldn't it have dual oil fillers on each valve cover? Not that something like that couldn't have been changed.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It would be interesting to have the VIN from the frame rail tag ....
                        Leon Martin, Australia.

Comment

To me, it looks like a 1963 Avanti R2 with some modifications, including a polished R3 air box.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Not R3 heads, not R3 valve covers, not R3 intake, repop airbox, not R3 tach, speedo or boost gauge, not R3 breather caps or enough of them, not R3 cooling fan, 3ee battery not R3. That said, it's a nice Avanti and looks like it was well loved.
                            Jim
                            Often in error, never in doubt
                            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you very much... I will try to get the VIN from the frame rail tag and post it...

Comment

Working...
                              X