No announcement yet.

Oil Pressure for Champ. 6 cyl.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Pressure for Champ. 6 cyl.?

My 52 Champ, which has not seen a highway since I parked it in the pasture 51 years ago, (I last drove it in 1960), is about ready to hit the road again. The oil pressure is about 15 lb. when warmed up. I've owned about 14 Stude's but the last one was about 1970. Seems like all of them were under 20 lb. hot. Now all of them could have been worn out, but can someone tell me what's "normal" for a 6 ? I remember driving the heck out of them with 15 lbs. even some long cross country trips. Even had a couple so worn out I carried a couple of 5 gallon cans of drain oil and just stopped every 100 miles and dumped some in going cross country, but never threw a rod.

15 psi at a warm idle is not too bad, but it should get up to 30 or so at normal cruise RPMs. I had engines that would barely get the needle off zero at idle, and still they ran. But extremely low oil pressure at cruise is a warning sign.

Champion engines can lose a t lot of oil pressure in the valve lifter area.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
      15 psi at a warm idle is not too bad, but it should get up to 30 or so at normal cruise RPMs. I had engines that would barely get the needle off zero at idle, and still they ran. But extremely low oil pressure at cruise is a warning sign.

Champion engines can lose a t lot of oil pressure in the valve lifter area.
      Just to add to Gordr's reply...I have one that for over thirty years now that has run at interstate speeds with no more than 30 psi (if that much) showing on the gauge. If you will read the acceptable oil pressure for these engines in the shop manual, you will see that Studebaker was much more forgiving than competitive brands.

Don't get me wrong, I think that oil pressure is a good indication and should not be ignored. However, these engines are very tough and as long as everything is ok and sufficient "oil Flow" allows lubrication to the moving parts, low oil pressure is survivable. In the case of my engine, I chalk it up to my lack of experience and failure to do a cam bearing renewal when I performed a "back yard" overhaul in 1978.

Back then, I replaced rod bearings, main bearings, rings, and honed the cylinders without removing the engine from the vehicle. That was in the days when youthful enthusiasm and energy trumped good judgement. Today, I don't think my body would allow the contortions my body had to endure to repeat that job.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Before it was later overhauled, the oil light on my high school 59 Lark would flicker on at every stop. The engine ran fine, but the overhaul provided a lot of peace of mind.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
        X