Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info about a '55 from Hemet, CA?

I got this email last night.

Message: I have a 1955 President hardtop and am the third owner, the second owner didn't do much with the car . The car has two windshield stickers from the Studebaker Automobile Club. I was associated with the members of that club at the time in Hemet Calif. The club ended suddenly when treasury funds disappeared.. so as did the treasurer.. What I was wanting to know if anyone has a list of members so I might be able to find out who owned the car originally.. The 55 President I have has power front windows , power front seat , and power steering.. I think it could have been a special order car. Will get a produciton order .

I directed him to this forum.

I obviously do not know anything about this car, actually dont know much about anything...lol
    But if the car is for sale or something and someone want me to go look at it and take some impartial pics and views, I am only 20-30 minutes from there. But it just sounds like he would like some info so that may not help.

I am not positive but Bob {roscomacaw} was a previously a member of other Stude clubs and may have info....paging Bob to the white phone

Comment

Huh? I don' no nuthin'. Lotsa folks here to confirm dat!
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
        I got this email last night.

Message: I have a 1955 President hardtop and am the third owner, the second owner didn't do much with the car . The car has two windshield stickers from the Studebaker Automobile Club. I was associated with the members of that club at the time in Hemet Calif. The club ended suddenly when treasury funds disappeared.. so as did the treasurer.. What I was wanting to know if anyone has a list of members so I might be able to find out who owned the car originally.. I directed him to this forum.
        A bit more on that club here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=saca

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          A bit more on that club here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=saca

Craig
          I know it's off the subject but I've got a white '58' Golden Hawk that came from Hemet and was owned by someone named Miller but last plated in 1977. Just wonder if you are familiar with it .

Comment

WAY back when, I rec'd the youngest member award from the Studebaker Automobile Club of America. That was in 1976 when I was 14. Still have my certificate and newsletter somewhere in the pile. The club was led by Paul Gunter from CA and didn't last very long.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
              I obviously do not know anything about this car, actually dont know much about anything...lol
              But if the car is for sale or something and someone want me to go look at it and take some impartial pics and views, I am only 20-30 minutes from there. But it just sounds like he would like some info so that may not help.

I am not positive but Bob {roscomacaw} was a previously a member of other Stude clubs and may have info....paging Bob to the white phone
              Kelly, I have often wondered where you live with that location name, now I know, My brother has a used car lot on State St' in San Jansenco (spelling ???)
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                WAY back when, I rec'd the youngest member award from the Studebaker Automobile Club of America. That was in 1976 when I was 14. Still have my certificate and newsletter somewhere in the pile. The club was led by Paul Gunter from CA and didn't last very long.
                Some minor but important corrections are in order here;

1. The Car Club that recruited and broke away the entire West Coast and Hawaii from SDC except the Sequoia Chapter and the Orange Empire Chapter (Calif.) was not called the Studebaker Automobile Club, it was the "Studebaker Owners Club of America", SOCA which was later merged back into the SDC along with the small club: Studebaker Automobiles Society which I think was Asa Hall's Club in the South East.

2. The founder and International President of SOCA was Paul Gunder who was living at the time in I believe, Mission Viejo, CA.

I am a Charter Life Member of SOCA, too bad "life" is not always forever!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

We had a member here who was also a member of SACA and tried to interest me in joining that club. He passed on one of their newsletters to me from 1978:

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Some minor but important corrections are in order here;

1. The Car Club that recruited and broke away the entire West Coast and Hawaii from SDC except the Sequoia Chapter and the Orange Empire Chapter (Calif.) was not called the Studebaker Automobile Club, it was the "Studebaker Owners Club of America", SOCA which was later merged back into the SDC along with the small club: Studebaker Automobiles Society which I think was Asa Hall's Club in the South East.

2. The founder and International President of SOCA was Paul Gunder who was living at the time in I believe, Mission Viejo, CA.

I am a Charter Life Member of SOCA, too bad "life" is not always forever!
                    Paul Gunder was one of a kind - good , bad or indifferent for those that knew him will know what I mean.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      Kelly, I have often wondered where you live with that location name, now I know, My brother has a used car lot on State St' in San Jansenco (spelling ???)
                      I actually live in Lake Elsinore Ca. But it being a natural lake with no out flow it can get a bit stagnant and less than fresh at times, so it is known locally as Lake Smellsomemore....
                      I tell people who dont know so. cal. that I live between Disneyland and Sea World... About 1 hour due north of Sea World and 50 minutes East South East of Disneyland.
                      That puts me 20-25 minutes west south west of State St in "San Jacinto" which is next to Hemet. All of which is Hillbilly land California out here. lol

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                        All of which is Hillbilly land California out here. lol
                        Give it a few more years- a decade at most-- that'll change!!!

Now- as to my Family's property in Newberry Springs-
                        all 20 acres of it are 'out there' a ways...
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Very True....Newberry Springs IS out there. Not sure that will ever be super populated. I had a bad blow out on a jet ski trailer just past Newberry and had to pull off in Ludlow....we lovingly refer to it as, Beautiful Downtown Ludlow....what a place. Drive to nowhere, make a right and stop at Nothing and you are almost in Ludlow.

BTW, I did not mean that this area is Hillbilly land Ca. as in it is unpopulated...I meant it as in there is a high population of "toothless, low educated, and NOT so bright" folks out here. I see alot of people out here that just looking at them makes my mind play that banjo song from Deliverence in my mind. I have lived here for 22, almost 23 years and man have I seen it grow. There was a total of 20k people in this whole valley when I moved here, including Lake Elsinore, Murrieta, and Temecula valley. Now there is over 100k just in Murrieta and over 250k in the valley as a whole....unbelievable growth in the late 90s and early 2000s. Kinda dead on construction the last few years. I like it though. It is pretty overall and awesome weather.

Comment

There seems to be different things getting confused here.
                            Studebaker Automobile Club of America (SACA), the one asked about, was different from the Studebaker Owners Club of America (SOCA) that I believe was the one started by Paul Gunder. The club started by Asa Hall was Studebaker Automobiles Society (SAS), sort of a play on Asa's name - he decided against ASA for the club. SAS was centered in the Northeast, not the "South East" (Asa always resided in Connecticut).
                            The Hudson Valley Chapter was chartered with both SDC and SAS in the 1960s and I was a member of both clubs.
                            Last edited by studegary; 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM. Reason: corrected a letter
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Since we're talkin' defunct clubs here, several years ago at the Petaluma Stude auction that about five of us attended, I picked up a sticker from the Hawk Owners Group. It's around here somewhere. Nicely designed logo. Anyone ever heard of them?
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X