Need Thin Head Gaskets For 259/289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Need Thin Head Gaskets For 259/289

I am doing a rebuild, and since yesterday have learned there is a temporary shortage of thin heads gaskets (S.I.'s part number is 1545072). Both Phil Harris & Stude Intl have them on back order. Can anyone help?????

I hate to hold up the job, but absolutely do NOT want the thick head gaskets. Been there-done that.

If anyone has a pair of the thin ones to sell please PM let me know.

Thanks,
    Joe H

Is your experience based on the old composite head gaskets?
    The 'new' Kevlar 'Best' brand head gaskets are supposedly much better material.

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    I am doing a rebuild, and since yesterday have learned there is a temporary shortage of thin heads gaskets (S.I.'s part number is 1545072). Both Phil Harris & Stude Intl have them on back order. Can anyone help?????

I hate to hold up the job, but absolutely do NOT want the thick head gaskets. Been there-done that.

If anyone has a pair of the thin ones to sell please PM let me know.

Thanks,
    Joe H
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Other than an R1, stock Studes need all the compression they can get. Agree with Joe; I don't want the thick gaskets.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Well... Victor discontinued the part (solid steel), and sold the stamping dies to RPM.
        So, it is up to RPM to start stamping new ones and getting them out to their dealers.
        That's probably why Best chose this opportunity to bring out their gasket line (which seems to be only sold on Ebay and through John Erb)...
        As a side note, Best told me that they do make the R3 head gasket, and you can order it through John Erb...
        Jeff
        (copy from my e-mail)
        Hi Jeff,
        We do offer the R3 head gasket. You can contact ERB products at (775) 883-6494 to purchase. Thanks!
        Roy Lucero
        www.bestgasket.com
        Ph (888)333-2378
        Ph (562)699-6631
        Fax (562)699-5034

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Other than an R1, stock Studes need all the compression they can get. Agree with Joe; I don't want the thick gaskets.
        jack vines
        Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The first hand info I have is that the stamping dies were scrapped by mistake by the manufacturer that was doing them for RPM, the wholesale supplier to us vendors. New dies have to be manufactured, hence the temporary shortage of shim head gaskets.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I have some. NAPA brand (Victor #1100BS)
            PM me if you still need some.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Thanks much, to everyone who offered to help. It looks like I hace a pair coming my way.

Joe H

Comment

Working...
              X