Replacement radio buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement radio buttons

I pulled a 62 Lark push button radio out of storage and was reminded that one of the buttons was broken. Can anyone suggest a place where I could get a replacement radio button.

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Studebaker Int'l has them.

Comment

Wish we had them but only have them in black. They're on the list of items I'd eventually like to make along with the 1958-61 buttons.

Ed Reynolds
      Studebaker International

Comment

I have a radio that i pulled out of my 62 Lark. has the ivory buttons as I recall. I can check it out tonight if you're interested. It was in the car when I got it and not hooked up. I think it will work too.

Comment

Just to clarify...do you need the knobs (as in the round "On/off"') or the flat "push" buttons?
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Mine has all the knobs and buttons. If you post a picture or send me a private message with picture, I'll check. I want to be sure the radio is the same. Just because it was in my 62 doesn't mean its a 62 radio. It is a Studebaker radio, however.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion... the push buttons.

I bought this radio about the time my daughter was born. The package went on a shelf in my shop where it sat unopened for years. I finally opened the box last month and I was reminded that one of the push buttons was broken, I knew the part was broken when I bought it

The tag on my radio says AC3216, ser 444pd

Jeff T.
              The Replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
                Sorry for any confusion... the push buttons.

I bought this radio about the time my daughter was born. The package went on a shelf in my shop where it sat unopened for years. I finally opened the box last month and I was reminded that one of the push buttons was broken, I knew the part was broken when I bought it

The tag on my radio says AC3216, ser 444pd

Jeff T.
                Oops! I just loooked at it and it is a Studebaker radio but only has knosbs, no pushbuttons. But they are ivory.

Comment

I've been repairing radios since 1985 and have never seen replacement pushbuttons for a 62. If they were made, I am not aware of it. Best bet is to find another radio.

BTW, I can convert Studebaker AM radios to AM/FM stereo with auxilliary inputs for iPod, satellite and such. they look completely stock from the outside.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    I've been repairing radios since 1985 and have never seen replacement pushbuttons for a 62. If they were made, I am not aware of it. Best bet is to find another radio.

BTW, I can convert Studebaker AM radios to AM/FM stereo with auxilliary inputs for iPod, satellite and such. they look completely stock from the outside.
                    How much to convert one (on average) with the auxiliary inputs for a Ipod? You can Private message me if you don't want to disclose the cost on the website.
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I'm interested as well !
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Me too. I'd love to have a "stock" radio with FM and the AUX inputs.

As far as the original post is concerned, couldn't you buy the new Black buttons that SI has and paint/dye them white?

For the big spender, I could hook you up with a NOS white-button AM radio for $300. I think it's for a '63 model, though.

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                          How much to convert one (on average) with the auxiliary inputs for a Ipod? You can Private message me if you don't want to disclose the cost on the website.
                          What's so bad about posting the cost? You provide a valuable service at a reasonable price...then I know of no better way to "qualify" serious potential customers. If it is reasonable, then you shouldn't be ashamed to publish it.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hi folks. Just got back online. The kits that I install are made by Antique automobile radio company out of Tampa Florida.

State-of-the-Art Stereo for antique car radios: Looks original, sounds better!

I have been doing these for... how many years? can't remember, but i have done at least a hundred of them. I've been repairing car radios since 1985. Hope this does not seem like a commercial, but here goes.

What I do is take out the old electronics, whether it be printed circuit board, or auxiliary chassis with the tubes/transistors/transformers/vibrator and such. then I clean up and adjust the push button mechanism, the volume/tone/on-off switch, clean and maybe paint the case and make sure everything that must be re-used is in perfect condition. Then I install a small circuit pack with a microprocessor controlled tuner, heat sink, and four channels amplifier with 44 watts RMS (the true measure of audio power) per channel. That circuit pack has inputs to the radio's original tuning coil and the volume/tone controls. If the car is a six volt model, I also install a six to twelve volt inverter. i also install two RCA jacks on the chassis for auxiliary inputs. These inputs are perfect for iPod, satellite, CD player or what have you. I put pots on the chassis for balance and fade, depending on how many speakers you specify. I usually put an LED in the dial. It changes color to indicate AM, FM mono, or FM stereo. Since the radio re-uses all of the original human interfaces, it looks stock until you turn it on. Your dashboard looks completely stock, like it should.

The following are basic prices. These are not firm quotes! I must have the radio in my hands first so as to examine it's innards in person before giving a firm quote. 58 to 60 Studebaker radios have a goofy tone control, so I have to find one from a Chevy at additional cost. Anyway, if all the parts I need to reuse (tuning coil, push button mechanism,volume/tone/on-off, manual tuning clutch etc) are in good shape and if no one has been inside the radio FUBAR'ing it before me,the basic prices are as follows.

basic FM conversion with auxiliary inputs is currently $425. Wonder bar, town & country, and other signal seeking radios are $475 because of the additional work required.

The six to twelve volt inverter if needed is an additional $100

If anything is wrong with the parts I need to reuse, I usually tack on another $25 or so for the extra work required or the parts.

You will have to:
                            1 - decide how many speakers you want to use (1, 2 or 4). Studebaker six volt systems are positive ground and, since the inverter has to boost as well as invert, it will only support one speaker.I have had mixed luck with two speakers on six volt, positive ground systems, so I recommend only one speaker.

2 - pack it well per my instructions and send it to me

3 - buy high quality speakers. The kind that originally came with the radio will not handle the power, and neither will the ones that are available in the local O'riely's, 10,00 auto parts, Kragen, Pep Boys parts stores. I am very fussy about the speakers people use because I want my radios to sound their best once they are installed in the car.

4 - wire and install the radio properly

There is a line of high quality speakers that are designed to fit where the old speakers were mounted and those are the ones I recommend. Most of the other good brands, like Pioneer, JBL and others have tweeters that stick out the front. That makes them hard to mount in places designed for old flat faced speakers.

If this is not clear, or if you have any other questions, please send me an email, and thanks for asking.

regards

RadioRoy
                            Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-05-2011, 07:32 PM.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Black key, white key, if the part fits i'll use it I did not see a number in the new SI catalog so I'll have to email for info.

If all else fails, I have a box of styrene plastic from my model railroad kitbashing days and I'll rebuild the broken part.

Having an input for an Ipad or an FM modification sounds interesting, as long as it does not empty the treasury

Jeff T.
                              The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
                              X