PDA

View Full Version : Question on windsheld wipers

valleyguy
06-11-2007, 08:48 PM
I installed a new 3-wire wiper motor on my 58 hawk and the wipers
now work... they work but they "park" on the glass at the top of the sweep; when I turn the switch to "off" they do one more sweep and then park at the top....How do I get them to park down on the cowl where they are supposed to? I have them wired correctly, according to my wiring diagram, but I don't know how to fix this problem.
Tks,

studebakerjeff
06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
I have a 60 Dodge pickup with 3 wires on the switch. Mine did the same,stopping at top of windshied. The switch was bad. One wire is hot ,the other runs ,the other is the return. I took the wires loose and found out by trial and errow. Hope this helps.

Jeff

1950 Champion business coupe
Home of Marshall

N8N
06-12-2007, 06:06 AM
you may have installed the wiper transmission 180 degrees off on the wiper motor. easy fix if that is the problem

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

John Kirchhoff
06-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Can you just remove the wiper blades and arms and rotate them 90 degrees or so and put them back on? You should be able to make them stop any place you want.

KGlowacky
06-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Be real careful just moving the blades. If it is install 180 out the moter is going to pull these wiper arms down as far as the motor strenth will allow and scratch the heck out of your paint and jam and maybe burn up your motor.

valleyguy
06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
ok, Nate your were right on... after reading your suggestion
and looking at everything, again....( I knew it was not the switch), I loosened the under dash assembly, rotated the arms
180 degrees and viola!, they now park at the bottomn. Makes me
feel pretty dumb, but at least I have the excuse that this is my first time......They do
bump back up a couple of inches on the windshield
after reaching the bottom in the
off position, but I can live with that...Thanks much.

Gordr,
what metal plate are you referring to for the slight adjustment
of the part point?

gordr
06-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I think N8N has the answer.

With the motor now "parked" and the blades at the top of their sweep, undo the nut that holds the crankwheel on the motor shaft, turn the crank until the blades are in the right location, and see if it will pop back on the motor shaft. I believe it will. If so, problem solved.

The metal plate that contains the park switch can be loosened and turned for slight adjustment of the park point.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

N8N
06-12-2007, 04:52 PM
I know what GordR is talking about, on the PRestolite motors there is a metal cover over the wiper transmission that rotates, there is a tab sticking out the side that you can catch with a screwdriver and fine tune the park position. American Bosch motors work the same way except the adjustment is a nut in the center of the wiper transmission. This would be the part where the wires physically connect to the motor.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

kamzack
06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff

Can you just remove the wiper blades and arms and rotate them 90 degrees or so and put them back on? You should be able to make them stop any place you want.

I'd tape a popsicle stick or tongue depressor to the point of attachment for the wiper arm. Won't tell ya how I learned the hard way on a freshly painted 63 Lark, ooohh, the lessons we learn by doing damage. Do I have to tell ya who I am?