Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealer Screaming For Cars - Followup - MFG Point of View October 1962 - Revised Proper Attachments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer Screaming For Cars - Followup - MFG Point of View October 1962 - Revised Proper Attachments

Rather than expand the thread Dealers Screaming For Cars I thought I would try to post what was happening two months later as it appears MFG was trying to ramp up but ran into quality control issues with Studebaker. Hopefully the two memos I saved as jpeg files will help expand the discussion of what was happening with 6 months of the Avantis introduction. Hope this works never tried before.
    Attached Files
    John Hull

Wow, it seems to me that the overall quality was pretty bad, even for the Corvette. I wonder what the execs at GM thought about the fit and finish of their signature car.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

I remember one of the auto magazines that tested the Avanti after it was available commented that the fiberglass body's fit and finish was superior to that of the Corvette. A different magazine that later evaluated the Avanti (and Studebaker) showed the inspection process with numerous pieces of tape showing flaws in the paint that required attention.

There appears to be a real difference between what was coming down the production line and what was made available for auto writers.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

John: I think you've got two identical threads started. You may be able to delete the one to which no one has replied, if you do it quick before someone posts to it. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi

Though Corvette fans would take umbrage at the opinion our small town Chevrolet dealer said of the Corvettes he sold, he opined in the early '60's to a group of friends "Guys like 'em, but they're a pretty lousy car for the price".
          He was more likely referring to the poor body fit and finish of those cars, not the mechanical. Even as a kid, I was surprise how poor they looked up close. Fast forward a half century, those that are restored now are likely the quality of the cars prepared for the major car shows then.

Steve

Comment

Interesting to see faults on the Corvette in 1961 noted by Studebaker personel & accepted by MFG. I am surprized to see they retained the attitude of it being "commercially acceptable" a year later. No wonder that Studebaker then proceeded to assemble the bodies (at least some of them) to improve the quality. I have a copy of the assembly report on mine with defects like repositioning the power steering line being corrected. I should break it out again & look to see what, if any body issues there were.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It appears that MFG made no attempt at quality control, and Sigmund Gegax was the 'go-to' guy between MFG and Studebaker as per E.T. Reynold's autobiography:

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X