Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Companion flange to pinion shaft witness mark. What if I forgot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Companion flange to pinion shaft witness mark. What if I forgot?

I am reassembling my Dana 44 after changing seals and a bearing cup. I now realize that I forgot to mark the companion flange to show which splines on the pinon shaft it was lined up to. What am I risking by just putting it back together?
    Rob in ND
    \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

'Shouldn't make any difference how you put it back together. Just make sure there isn't a flat or other provision to orient the shaft to the flange in certain way; 'shouldn't be. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Just a thought.....why wouldn't one change the roller bearing along with the cup?? Wouldn't a "worn" cup also result in "worn rollers"?? I thought you never replaced one without the other.?.?. then what do I know.

Dan Miller
      Auburn, GA

Comment

Tapered roller bearing components definitely do 'wear in' together, and become comfortable.
        Proper bearing maintenance should be to keep like components together, and replace them in sets.
        It will accellerate the wear process to mix a new cone with an old cup.
        If you read the info that SKF or Timken, or Koyo, or MRC... They will always say the same thing.
        Jeff

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
        Just a thought.....why wouldn't one change the roller bearing along with the cup?? Wouldn't a "worn" cup also result in "worn rollers"?? I thought you never replaced one without the other.?.?. then what do I know.

Dan Miller
        Auburn, GA
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The bearing cup I changed out was for one of the carrier bearings. The roller bearing showed no sign of any wear or any damage that I could see. The cup didn't show wear either. That is to say there was no ridge or groove, or hammering. However, the cup had a few tiny flakes spalled off of it. The other carrier bearing roller and cup look great. The pinion bearing and cup looked great.
          Car has 62,000 miles and has sat for the last 50 years. Also cleaned everything as best I could.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	PA310070.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1670971
          Last edited by 53hardtop; 11-02-2011, 12:27 PM.
          Rob in ND
          \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

The Manual warns us to never clean the inside of the case.
            Since you have done that, just be very careful that there are no remains of Solvent, Kerosene etc. in the case and it is throughly dry.

I doubt that they had the highly evaporative products like Brake Clean that we have today, so residue that would thin the Oil was their concern.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X