horn button and rewiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: horn button and rewiring

Hello fellow Studes: I need some help rewiring my horn on my 1928 Dictator. The wire running through the steering column has broken off and I need to enter the column to get to the button. My steering column has 6 screws from the bottom side. I am wondering what I am getting into, as this would expose the three levers on the steering column. Don't want to break anything or mess myself up. Someone has no doubt been inside this switch area and horn button area. Would appreciate any insight.

I would look at the parts book to be sure how it routes and what needs to come apart.

Before you take anything apart, Look really close at the lower part of the gearbox, the wire comes out here. Try pulling from the botom side with a long welding wire. If you can get the lower half of the wire, the top part may drop down, and maybe you can grab it too. Look close at where the wire comes out of the column. If the brass wire end is long gone, I think many other years used the same end. Then move on to the upper end and see what it needs.

I read that you are going into the upper part or lower part by removing the 6 screws? Dont open the lower part.
    Last edited by (S); 10-31-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply from Ferndale. When I say the upper part of the steering column, I mean where the horn button is at the center of the steering column. The screws are on the backside of the wheel, 6 I think. I read somwhere that you can feed a new wire down through the steering column from the top to the bottom. The wire comes out just below the light switch. I don't want to open the steering column at the top without knowing what I am getting into. It could be simple, but it could be a nightmare. The wire broke off at the very bottom of the tube, just below the light switch. Tried pulling on it, but it is tight.

Comment

Working...
      X