Ground Wire on generator 1956 Sky Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Ground Wire on generator 1956 Sky Hawk

I purchased a 1956 Sky Hawk this summer and now that the car show season is over am fixing some of the nit noid stuff under the hood. I am currently working on the generator. I removed it and the related mounting hardware and striped and painted everything. When I removed the generator I found there was a (I think) ground wire mounted to the case of the generator, however the other end was not attached to anything. Is that wire suppose to be mounted to the inner fender? It is clearly the only place it would reach. Else, maybe I should just remove it and throw it away?

Regards,
    Jerry Johnson

There was no factory-installed ground wire from the generator case to the engine or inner fender or anywhere else. 'Must have been added later and would not be needed under normal circumstances. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Johnson View Post
      I purchased a 1956 Sky Hawk this summer and now that the car show season is over am fixing some of the nit noid stuff under the hood. I am currently working on the generator. I removed it and the related mounting hardware and striped and painted everything. When I removed the generator I found there was a (I think) ground wire mounted to the case of the generator, however the other end was not attached to anything. Is that wire suppose to be mounted to the inner fender? It is clearly the only place it would reach. Else, maybe I should just remove it and throw it away?

Regards,
      Jerry Johnson
      Is the Generator a Delco-Remy, Model 1102003 ...or has it been swapped out for something else? TIA

Comment

Most Autolite systems do have a ground from the Gen. case to the Voltage Reg. case and inner fender, but I believe those were only used on '56 Golden Hawks with Packard Engines and Champion Sixes.

If that were the case, and the harness were original you should see a wire entering the harness. In any case it was just a precaution and normally would not cause a problem without it.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am unable to determine who made the gen, as there is no nameplate or numbers I can find, even under the paint. As for the wire harness, a nos harness was purchased from Stude International in 2002 as part of the restoration done in KY. Two wires come from that harness to the gen, one white and one white with black tracer. The loose wire I initially referred to is a simple 18 inch black wire with a terminal on each end, not in the wire harness. I am inclinded to get rid of it, as I don't think it is any part of the origianl car wiring. I will wait a few day, so anyone else how might have a Sky Hawk can get in on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Johnson View Post
            I am unable to determine who made the gen, as there is no nameplate or numbers I can find, even under the paint. As for the wire harness, a nos harness was purchased from Stude International in 2002 as part of the restoration done in KY. Two wires come from that harness to the gen, one white and one white with black tracer. The loose wire I initially referred to is a simple 18 inch black wire with a terminal on each end, not in the wire harness. I am inclinded to get rid of it, as I don't think it is any part of the origianl car wiring. I will wait a few day, so anyone else how might have a Sky Hawk can get in on this issue.
            Is there/was there a capacitor connected in the armature ("A") terminal on the generator?

Comment

Working...
            X