NOS Oversize Pistons For 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: NOS Oversize Pistons For 289

Looks like I am going to need oversize pistons for a 289 I am rebuilding. I am eagerly awaiting the new SI catalog, and keeping my fingers crossed. I am hoping it may include NOS pistons "found" at SASCO. Can anyone who has the new catalog tell me if it contains the subject pistons?

If not in the SI catalog, can anyone tell me another source for those pistons? I am aware of the hypereutectic Silv-o-lites, and will use them, but only if NOS is unavailable. Of course, I am talking about regular, dish type. I am guessing at least .010" OS, but would be willing to drill bigger if needed, based on piston availability.

Thanks,
    Joe H

Joe, check with Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker: http://www.fairbornstudebaker.com/

Great guy, great products, and some of the best prices you will find on quality engine parts.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Studebaker Engines are not thin wall castings like some other makes, so there would be no use for only a .010 over Piston, the Pistons and Rings only come in .020, .030, .040 & .060
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studebaker Engines are not thin wall castings like some other makes, so there would be no use for only a .010 over Piston, the Pistons and Rings only come in .020, .030, .040 & .060
        That, plus it usually takes .030" to clean up all the wear. It's very unusual to find a 50-60 year old Stude V8 which would ever clean up with a .010" overbore.

FWIW, i personally prefer the hypereutetic pistons to the OEM replacements.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Jack,
          If you personally prefer the hypereutectics that's good enough for me. I am gonna quit worrying about NOS. I guess I will let the machinist advise me on oversize needed, then contact one of several vendors that have the hypers.

Thanks,
          Joe

Comment

Working...
          X