Avanti advertising question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti advertising question

Studebakers are a frequent topic of entries over at the Car Lust Blog.
    There is a new thread about cars in comic books. Of course, the (in)famous Avanti in Archie is mentioned and shown.
    The author thinks it was a product placement deal and I'm sure it was to some extent.
    Does anyone have details on it?
    He can't believe that Studebaker would pay good money to be in a comic book and to be driven by the "bad" guy (actually, more of a weasel).

So, anyone out there have details or opinions as to how it came to be?
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Bump...

Anyone...Anyone?
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My cousin used to work for DC comics back in the day of the late 50's and 60's as an artist..........man I should have saved all the Superman art boards:-(........anyway he had many friends in the business...........including the folks at Archie comics...........his next door neighbor who worked for TWA had a new Avanti...........anyway he told me that the guys at Archie were closet gear heads..........and as such it was an original idea to include the Avanti into a story..............no input from Studebaker was involved.

Comment

I doubt product placement was that big in the 50s and 60s. Big deal now...but not until the 80s was it the norm.
        I read somewhere that the first BIG deal {maybe not THE first} was the movie E.T. where he was going to eat M&Ms but Reeses paid big money to use Reeses Pieces instead and a market was born. Now they wont even show a logo on a shirt or hat without taping over it or blurring it out if they are not getting paid by that company on reality TV shows. Pretty ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
        X