#4 Studebaker collectibles...Silver spoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #4 Studebaker collectibles...Silver spoon

Born with a silver spoon – This silver spoon is 5 3/4” long. On the handle front it has the date June 4/94 (that’s 1894!). The “bowl“ of the spoon has an engraving of Tippecanoe Place. On the reverse side is the name Clement Studebaker Jr. engraved in the handle. That date (June 4/94) actually represents the birth of Clement Studebaker III (1894-1975). His father was Clement Jr. (1871-1932). Clement III was the last surviving male descendant of the five brothers originally involved in the wagon building enterprise. As far as is known there are no heirs of the original Studebaker brothers (with the Studebaker name) that are still living. Sorry but I have no information on the history of the spoon. Maybe given out to family and close friends?
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 10-28-2011, 04:55 PM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Dick,
      Another view into your inner sanctum of Studebaker collectables which we all appreciate. Amongst my cutlery I have a fine pickle fork with Studebaker inscribed on the handle plus an olive fork with Tippecanoe inscribed.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Me and my shadow :-)~
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
          Dick,
          Another view into your inner sanctum of Studebaker collectables which we all appreciate. Amongst my cutlery I have a fine pickle fork with Studebaker inscribed on the handle plus an olive fork with Tippecanoe inscribed.
          You cant eat olives without an olive fork!

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
            Me and my shadow :-)~
            What are you trying to say John???????

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
            MELBOURNE.

Comment

Perhaps it was his baby spoon. At that time, it was common for a baby to have a spoon with his name and sometimes his date of birth on it. For those reasonably well off, it was a silver spoon (as in, born with a silver spoon in his mouth). I have seen inscribed baby spoons for predecessors of mine in my family. If that is what it is, it may be one of one. There is also a strong possibility that he received more than one as gifts.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Legend has it that if you fill the ladel of that spoon with spirits and then hold it in your mouth - you're instantly whisked back to 1894.
                No one's actually tried that since the legend doesn't elaborate on whether or not you're ultimately returned to the present.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Just an observation on what folks have said to me about such posts. Have you noticed that Jim always posts "I have one too" every time Richad Quinn mentions his collection??? They just thought it was funny and like Richard having a shadow. Sorry if my attempted humor was taken the wrong way.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Mine has a JM Studebaker building in the bowl.. small spooon, souvenier maybe.

Comment

Working...
                    X