Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Post #12; pic w/Ted) "Everybody knows" that you....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Post #12; pic w/Ted) "Everybody knows" that you....

...must have cubic inches to produce torque. 'No way a puny 299 CID Studebaker V8 (.060-over 289), even if supercharged, is gonna produce much twisting force right off the line. 'Just too small.

Right. Tell Ted Harbit about that after Wednesday evening, October 26, at Muncie Dragway's final event (Test & Tune) of the 2011 drag racing season.

'Seems as though Ted got up to the line, watched the lights come down, and dropped the hammer on that puny, not even 300 cubic-inch, Studebaker V8 in The Stude Tomato. He heard a loud bang and the car wouldn't move in any gear, so he pulled it on the truck and went home.

A post-mortem indicated the transmission's tailshaft had decided to bow out just before winter.

Yep, there's no substitute for cubic inches:

Last edited by BobPalma; 10-29-2011, 01:23 PM. Reason: clarified it was The Tomato
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Ah, that is just the result of having had that 312 c.i.d. Max R3 in there for a few runs!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is there a letter to Borg Warner 'bout their puny tailshafts in the works?
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I was in the other lane at that time on Wednesday night looking at the same tree. I was looking for Ted all the way down the track wondering why he was not passing me up!
        Richard
        The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

I was always under the impression that engines of same displacement and other variables, the one with the longer stroke would produce more torque, particularly in the low-mid rpm range. I'm sure there's much more to it, but as a generalization...
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

I guess that Ted didn't get the memo.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Just to play devils advocate, it couldn't have had anything to do with the countless 1/4 mile passes and countless power-shifts on the trans before it broke could it? Just sayin'
              Travis..

Comment

Originally posted by crashnzuk View Post
                Just to play devils advocate, it couldn't have had anything to do with the countless 1/4 mile passes and countless power-shifts on the trans before it broke could it? Just sayin' Travis..
                'Nope, Travis; not a chance! Actually, FWIW, Ted rarely power-shifts (seriously).

Now Richard Poe, OTOH, ....now there's a man that you have to look for a clutch pedal to be sure it isn't an automatic as he goes down the track! <GGG> BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

looking on the "bright side", (i've had to look there quite a bit in the last couple of months ) - better to happen with winter around the corner than spring...
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Dang Harbit. ALWAYS breakin' something! Tailshafts, Starlight Coupes, opponents hopes, records..... I've had the pleasure of sitting behind the wheel of the Tomato and the Brown Wrapper at Stanton and I didn't so much as leave a scratch!
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for "not leaving a scratch", Bob. Increases wind resistance, you know, and we're down to some real fine tuning by now..... <GGG>

George
                      george krem

Comment

Ah, yes: Ted breaks the transmission Wednesday evening...and four days later at Dave McNeal's auction today in Hobbs (no relationship to Calvin) IN, look what shows up: A 4-speed with a 27-spline output shaft; just what Ted needs! Woo-Hoo...and at only $40, he was the high bidder!

Unfortunately, he later determined at the auction that it was not what he needed. The backup bidder was still around and offered Ted his money back (or maybe a little more; I didn't monitor the greenery changing hands), so Ted left it right where he bought it without having to lift the thing.

Oh, well; easy come, easy go. BP

Comment

That stinks it wouldn't work.
                          Side note: Where are you guys finding things like these auctions? I never see that kind of stuff here in so cal.

Comment

I'm not upset as when you think this equipment is almost 50 years old and the abuse it has taken, I think the warranty has probably expired. True, I don't power shift much any more as Bob stated. I just don't enjoy working on them like I used to.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                              Side note: Where are you guys finding things like these auctions? I never see that kind of stuff here in So Cal.
                              We always try to give everyone adequate notice.

For example, this was posted about 18 hours before Ted bought that transmission! <GGG>:

Comment

Working...
                              X