Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know it's not rocket science, but how is it possible??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: I know it's not rocket science, but how is it possible??

Ok I will come right to the point.............jumper box....booster pac.......whatever you call it...........how in the world can such a small package house a booster battery of anywhere from 1-3 thousand amps?..........I have a huge wheel booster from 40 yrs ago.......and the boost on that is only 200 amps.........so I am puzzled at what the technology is behind these compact booster jumper boxes..........

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    Ok I will come right to the point.............jumper box....booster pac.......whatever you call it...........how in the world can such a small package house a booster battery of anywhere from 1-3 thousand amps?..........I have a huge wheel booster from 40 yrs ago.......and the boost on that is only 200 amps.........so I am puzzled at what the technology is behind these compact booster jumper boxes..........
    Simple, it's "peak amps" that it can deliver for a few seconds at most, more likely milliseconds. Just like cheap car stereo amps that can deliver 1000 watts for 1 millisecond, but are rated at say 10 watts RMS.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
      Simple, it's "peak amps" that it can deliver for a few seconds at most, more likely milliseconds. Just like cheap car stereo amps that can deliver 1000 watts for 1 millisecond, but are rated at say 10 watts RMS.
      You did not tell me how a battery can do that........a tiny one at that...........and jumper boxes do not work for mili-seconds....I have one and it spins the engine over like a toy........often taking several minutes of use to get the engine to fire..........have to love the gas today..........

Comment

elves......

Comment

I know they don't work for milliseconds, but that how the are hyped as a advertizing gimmick. They can do a 100-200 amps amps for enough time to start your engine, but nothing like the cold cranking rating of real batteries. Like any battery, they can deliver plenty of current across a short curcuit for a brief period.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP is right. The booster I am looking at to buy claims to do 1500 peak amps but it doesn't say for how long. It is rated at 400 cranking amps. Most good car batteries will do 650 or more CCA (Cold Cranking Amps).
            54 Commander Coupe driver
            53 Commander Hardtop project
            SE Washington State

Comment

the batt box has to have some sort of capacitor in it for the initial "hit" that way it isn't always at that level only when the demand it there. I think

Comment

Originally posted by mookandairin View Post
                the batt box has to have some sort of capacitor in it for the initial "hit" that way it isn't always at that level only when the demand it there. I think
                I have had my booster box apart and do not see anything like a capacitor in the circuit.
                Keep in mind that booster boxes are designed to work in parallel with the normal duty battery in a vehicle. The booster adds to the power of a run-down battery. Both together give enough to start a vehicle.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X