Rearend Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rearend Installation

I'm installing a rearend into my '54 Champion. It is a #23 with axels out of a different #23. The axels are in excellent condition and the carrier is also in excellent condition. The manual does not say anything about instaling the left axel, just the right axel and how to shim it. I have a varity of shims to use, but ran into a problem with the left axel. I thought I would put two .030 shims behind the backing plate and then take the measurement. I had .116 of end play, keep in mind the right axel is not installed. I removed the two .030 shims and snugged the 4 bolts down good and I am left with .048 of end play.

The parts are installed in the following sequence. Axel housing, no shims, backing plate, reenforcement plate, gasket and retainer. There is about .010 of play on the shaft that goes between the two axel spider gears. The shaft surrounds the shaft that goes through the small spider gears and the carrier housing.

So, I figured that if I could get it down to about .010 of end play on the left shaft before I install the right shaft, I would have no trouble with the right axel adjustment, but I still have .048 of end play. Any thoughts folks?
Working...
X