PDA

View Full Version : Prayer request for rayoung55, a regular SDC contributor who needs us.

Ted Preston
10-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Howdy gang!

Rob Young, who is better known on the forum as rayoung55 has been in a tragic car accident while visiting New Orleans. He was hit by an airport van that lost control, and suffered head trauma, along with other injuries. Rob was in intensive care for almost a week while they battled to bring him back to stable condition. His wife and family are there with him, sending email updates to the members of his car clubs back home in Wyoming and South Dakota.

Rob has been a regular contributor here at SDC Forum since 2005. Here (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?54717-3E7D-Body-Work-Beginning-to-End) are links to a couple (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?54279-Dakotas-Chapter-Labor-Day-Meet) of his old threads (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?9685-rayoung55-Wyoming-Studes), for those who don't know him.

Latest update:

November 8 (as written by Rob's wife, Janet)

Hello all,

First off thank you for your prayers and thoughts. It means so much to know you are all out there.

I am staying in an old nursing dorm affiliated with Touro Hosp. We have a typical 1960's dorm room with a microwave, dorm fridge, washer and dryer available in the lounge. Nothing fancy, but a safe place to stay within 2 blocks of the hospital.

Sunday, Jessica and I went to chruch at Rayne UMC, about 5 blocks from the hospital, and met some wonderful people who offered to help us and be a support system. The minister offered her car so we could get a few groceries and another woman offered to let me stay with her. She is a retired Elem. Sch. Principal. We'll see how I'm doing after a bit. We are going to go to coffee with her this week. My sister Karen got a list of and ministers and picked this one at random. God's hand is surely evident in getting us to this wonderful community of faithful, caring people. I am truly grateful and awed by His grace and their generosity.

Rob is moving in the right direction. He is not spouting random numbers or assigning numbers to words or people anymore. (Milk is milk, not 48, so that is good.) He is still very confused and agitated, but they tell me that is a normal part of the healing.

Yesterday we saw him stand up and move 3-4 steps to his bed by himself. He also decidd somting during the day to crawl into the other bed in his room and that set off the bed alarm. Later he got up, walked to the door of his room, looked up and down the hall, and took off down the hall! He got all the way to a conference room and walked in on a meeting. It's a good thing the floor is locked and the bed alarm went off!

It's dangerous for him to be walking in his socks on tile floors and to be out on his own so he now has a tent over his bed. Because he can move on his own and roll over they didn't want to restarin him so the bed cover is a better option. This is a good thing and we are so glad for positive steps forward.

His care team of OT, PT, Speech therapists, nurses, and doctors meets on Wed. to evaluate the past week's progress and set new goals. So I should have update for everyone on Wed. or Thurs. We are so pleased with the care he is receiving and the way they take the time to keep us informed.

I took Jess to the airport this a.m. and will pick up Sandy, our sister-in-law, this afternoon, so I do have terrific support with me.

Thank you all for yourprayers, thoughts, and love. I can feel it surrounding us.

Love to all,

Janet

KJongenburger
10-26-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm in.

From far away Almaty in Kazachstan. May the Lord be with you Rob.

Roscomacaw
10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I know of Rob from the forums. I think it was he that considered buying my 53 Commander awhile back. Positive thoughts going out for him. Does sound promising tho! GO Rob!

Avantict
10-26-2011, 05:20 PM
May the good lord continue to look out for him and his family. He is in my prayers as well.

Bob Andrews
10-26-2011, 05:48 PM
I am familiar with Rob from here on the forum. Prayers from me and mine as well.

52 Ragtop
10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
WOW! So tragic! Prayers from Central indiana as well!!

Jim & Jody

55champion
10-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Prayers from North Carolina also being said....

Flashback
10-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Horrible news, but the update sounds good. Prayers here.

BobPalma
10-26-2011, 09:11 PM
'Will do, Ted. Thanks for the post and as good an update as could be hoped for. BP

dusty taylor
10-26-2011, 09:50 PM
We are sending prayers and good thoughts to Rob, as well as his family. We hope he has a speedy recovery. Dusty and Wanda

Anne F. Goodman
10-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Ray.
Your extended Studebaker Family are all sending good wishes your way.
Anne

JRoberts
10-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Thoughts and prayers here as well.

george o
10-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Rob:

Hope all is heading in a positive direction. It seems here lately bad things are happening to GOOD people.

Keep you in our thoughts and prayers here in VA

Take care

george o

Chicken Hawk
10-29-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think I ever met Rob but I remember him ordering parts from us several years ago and was a pleasure doing business with him. Good thoughts and prayers from here.

Ted

52 Ragtop
10-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Any update on Rob??
Jim

raidmagic
10-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Prayers for Rob, what part of Florida? I'm in the Tampa area, if I can help in anyway let me know

55 prez
10-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Praying to Our Father God for Rob and his family.

4hawks
10-30-2011, 09:02 PM
This is so terrible to hear... when ever I needed anything for my truck, I could alway count on Rob to be one of the first to offer help.

Does anyone know the latest on Rob’s condition?

Ted Preston
10-31-2011, 01:22 PM
This is so terrible to hear... when ever I needed anything for my truck, I could alway count on Rob to be one of the first to offer help.

Does anyone know the latest on Rob’s condition?

The latest update I heard was from Saturday, when Rob was generally awake and aware of his family, and even responded to some relatives on a speaker phone as if he recognized the voices.

Sadly, Rob seems to be suffering some minor brain damage, affecting his speech, so he has some speech therapy in the future, at a minimum. They are working on physical therapy at the moment, trying to get him to a point where he can be transferred to a hospital or therapy center back in the Rocky Mountains nearer his current home in South Dakota.

Apparently Rob is entertained by the loopy feeling he gets from his pain medicine, and joked about feeling "spacey" when someone asked. His family is generally encouraged by his sense of humor.

Ted Preston
11-01-2011, 09:00 PM
And another update, November 1. (written by Rob's son, Chris)

Dad will be transferring to Touro Rehabilitation Center today. This rehab center specializes in brain and spinal cord trauma and rehab. In addition, the doctor in charge did his residency at the Craig Hospital in Denver.

Dad will be receiving a minimum of 3 hours of rehab a day. There are on site dormitories, so mom will be moving in while dad is there. She will be attending classes that teach her how to care for dad.

Dad is doing very well. He passed his swallow test yesterday morning and is on a liquid diet. The speech pathologist expects he will be on solid foods shortly. He was able to say food and drink when he wanted something, and tell them when he was finished.

He has been able to communcate briefly on the phone with his parents, Dan, and me. You can tell he wants to talk more, but is having problems communicating. Hopefully with rehab he will regain his ability to speak.

The ER doctor who worked on him the night of the accident stopped in on Sunday evening and spoke with mom. He said the progress Dad has made is remarkable.

Dad is a fighter and now that he gets to start rehab we are hoping to see him at home soon.

(end snip)

I'm thinking Rob will enjoy a copy of the latest Turning Wheels at the rehab center! Gotta find a mailing address.

BobPalma
11-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Excellent, Ted; thanks for an encouraging report.

Be careful taking him the latest Turning Wheels, though; from what we read here on the forum, some TW-starved Canadians may try to take advantage of his weakened state and grab it! <GGG> BP

Bob Andrews
11-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Yep. The family will be blown away at the healing ability of the human brain when guided by today's advanced treatments. I have seen it myself. The Lord's strength to them!

silverhawk
11-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I'll be praying! Good to hear of his progress, it's a step in the right direction! :)

Lincoln77
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Prayer is coming from Oregon. Best wishes.

rayoung55
11-04-2011, 12:43 PM
This is Janet Young. Rick (Rob's Brother) forwarded me this address and I just read through it. Thank you so much for your prayers and concerns. Rob does have many brain contusions and we have a long road ahead of us. I know he would smile and be grateful that you are all there for him. If you would like to keep up with his progress we have set up a Caring Bridge site with a journal entry and it gets updated most days. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/robertyoung2 My hope is that he will be returning with you as soon as possible. :) I know he is missing his Studebaker buds! Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers!

Janet

Roscomacaw
11-04-2011, 01:16 PM
We're thinking of Rob - sending prayers and positive thoughts all along. We want him back here with us - the sooner, the better.

Ted Preston
11-08-2011, 12:24 PM
(For those who did not make the connection, Janet, who logged in and posted under Rob's account, is his wife.)

Glad to see you check into this thread, Janet! It sounds like the prayers are getting through, and you're getting the help you need, and it's good to hear that Rob's condition is improving. I've been reading the CaringBridge postings and posting updates about Rob's condition here.

Here's the latest, written by Janet as of today: (snip)

Hello all,

First off thank you for your prayers and thoughts. It means so much to know you are all out there.

I am staying in an old nursing dorm affiliated with Touro Hosp. We have a typical 1960's dorm room with a microwave, dorm fridge, washer and dryer available in the lounge. Nothing fancy, but a safe place to stay within 2 blocks of the hospital.

Sunday, Jessica and I went to chruch at Rayne UMC, about 5 blocks from the hospital, and met some wonderful people who offered to help us and be a support system. The minister offered her car so we could get a few groceries and another woman offered to let me stay with her. She is a retired Elem. Sch. Principal. We'll see how I'm doing after a bit. We are going to go to coffee with her this week. My sister Karen got a list of and ministers and picked this one at random. God's hand is surely evident in getting us to this wonderful community of faithful, caring people. I am truly grateful and awed by His grace and their generosity.

Rob is moving in the right direction. He is not spouting random numbers or assigning numbers to words or people anymore. (Milk is milk, not 48, so that is good.) He is still very confused and agitated, but they tell me that is a normal part of the healing.

Yesterday we saw him stand up and move 3-4 steps to his bed by himself. He also decided someting during the day to crawl into the other bed in his room and that set off the bed alarm. Later he got up, walked to the door of his room, looked up and down the hall, and took off down the hall! He got all the way to a conference room and walked in on a meeting. It's a good thing the floor is locked and the bed alarm went off!

It's dangerous for him to be walking in his socks on tile floors and to be out on his own so he now has a tent over his bed. Because he can move on his own and roll over they didn't want to restrain him so the bed cover is a better option. This is a good thing and we are so glad for positive steps forward.

His care team of OT, PT, Speech therapists, nurses, and doctors meets on Wed. to evaluate the past week's progress and set new goals. So I should have update for everyone on Wed. or Thurs. We are so pleased with the care he is receiving and the way they take the time to keep us informed.

I took Jess to the airport this a.m. and will pick up Sandy, our sister-in-law, this afternoon, so I do have terrific support with me.

Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts, and love. I can feel it surrounding us.

Love to all,

Janet

rayoung55
05-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Hello to all of you. This is Rob Young. Tonight is the first time that I have been to this sight and I find it amazing in how supportive you folks have all been!! I have been at Learning Services in a suburb of Denver for my rehabilitation for about 4 months. I am much better now than at the time of the accident and know that I will be going home soon. I am still having some minor issues with balance and short term memory but both areas have been improving. Thanks again for all the nice comments and i will let you all know when I am homeward bound!
Thanks to all!!
Rob

JimC
05-10-2012, 11:37 PM
So glad to hear that you're doing better! Welcome back!!

BobPalma
05-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Welcome back, Rob. 'Sounds like you've been through the mill (whew!) but are getting close to the shipping area! All the best; good to read your post. BP

Dan White
05-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Good to hear you are making a great recovery!!

candbstudebakers
05-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Rob, for some reason I missed this when it first happened or I would have been right there sending along my condolences from my wife and I along with the rest of the forum, I remember meeting you when delivering parts on one of my trips east, also sending you pictures of the green 53 commander, by the way it went to Australia, was a nice car and a good driver, glad to see and hear you are on the way to recovering and hope to hear you are up and working with the Studebaker's soon, take care every one is pulling for you.....Bob

showbizkid
05-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Wow... another member back in the fold! Good to see you back, Rob, and I hope we'll be seeing much more of you.

(S)
05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Pretty sure I met him while I was in Laramie at WTI, circa 1990. tell him to hang in there. (the kid with the black Lark says hi)

dean pearson
05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
This is great news Rob,
Man you Studebaker guys are tough. Really glad to hear things are going your way. AS tough as it has been for you, Be sure to hug that wife of yours I'm Sure it has been doubly painful for her to watch.

What would we do without them.

Dean.

Ps. Is doubly a word ?

Hello to all of you. This is Rob Young. Tonight is the first time that I have been to this sight and I find it amazing in how supportive you folks have all been!! I have been at Learning Services in a suburb of Denver for my rehabilitation for about 4 months. I am much better now than at the time of the accident and know that I will be going home soon. I am still having some minor issues with balance and short term memory but both areas have been improving. Thanks again for all the nice comments and i will let you all know when I am homeward bound!
Thanks to all!!
Rob

Roscomacaw
05-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Doubly IS a word, and I'll use it to say that we're doubly lucky for Rob's progressing recovery. Truly good news! Indeed, Studebaker types seem to be tough cookies, if the accounts we've been reading here of late are anything to go on. Our BEST to you, Rob. Hope you're home soon!

Lark8girl
05-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Hello Rob,

We are so glad to learn that you are doing so well. Keep letting the Forum know how you are progressing.

Sheldon and SuEllyn, Lark VIII girl

JimsLeadCommander
05-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Hi Rob: The good news regarding your recovery is encouraging!! May the forces of goodness stay with you as time moves forward toward your complete recovery.......Jim in Calif.

Dads Baby
05-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Rob, are you up for visitors? I wish we had known you were so close! :o I will PM you my number!

cdevan
05-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Rob, Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

rayoung55
07-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks again for all of the nice comments for me, Rob Young. I'm still in Lakewood, CO working on rehab stuff. I've been working hard and my wife Janet has been nothing but amazing since the accident in New Orleans in October!! We are very hopeful that by the end of July or beginning of August we will be headed for Laramie for a bit and then back home to Black Hawk, SD. If anyone would like to stop in it would be nice. Most afternoons or evening would likely work better. Keep up the comments and say a little prayer if you would like to.

Thanks again to all!!!

Rob Young
Learning Services in Lakewood, CO

Studedude
07-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the update, Rob! Great to know progress is being made, keep up the good work!

JRoberts
07-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Fantastic to hear from you. I too thank you for the update.

BobPalma
07-12-2012, 08:39 AM
'Good to hear from you, Rob. Hang tough! :!: BP

rayoung55
07-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Hi to all. Haven't been here in quite a while. I am still at Learning Services in Lakewood, Colorado. Rehab is coming along but it is starting to get to me how long I have bee gone from home, Janet and the boys. Short term memory and interactions with folks can at times be an issue for me. Thank all of you for your wonderful support and assistance through all of this!! It is greatly appreciated! I will let you know when I am released. Hopefully in the near future. Tomorrow, July 20, will be the nine month anniversary of the accident. Hope it isn't to tough of a day. You all take care!!

Thanks again to everyone!!

Rob Young

speycaster
07-19-2012, 07:34 PM
May the lord protect and bless you in a speedy recovery speycaster

Pat Dilling
07-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Wishing you the very best Ray. Hang in there and keep working, it will be worth it.

rayoung55
12-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Hello All!!

This is Rob Young. I was going through some old emails today and found a link to this site. I was simply amazed at how many kind and wonderful responses were made after my accident in 2011!! Your kindness and concern was simply amazing!! Thank you all for your support of me, my dear wife Janet, and our boys!!

I have recovered a great deal. I still have a few minor issues to deal with, but nothing like before. We retired from teaching in Wyoming in June of 2011 and moved to Black Hawk, SD. The accident was in October. Retirement did not start out as planned.

The folks at LSU and Touro, hospitals in New Orleans, were great. Learning Services in Denver was wonderful. CNS (Center for Neurorehabilitation Services) in Fort Collins, CO was extremely good also.

We never knew that there so many places that could work with people with Traumatic Brain Injuries - TBI's. All of these places have been wonderful and are a huge part of where I am today.

If you ever know of anyone who skis, rides bikes or motorcycles, skateboards or does anything where they could suffer a head injury, tell them please to wear a helmet!! We met so may people who suffered head injuries which could have been prevented. A TBI is nothing that anyone should go through.

I hope to rejoin the discussion board at SDC soon.

Thank you all again for being so wonderful to us!! Each and every one was amazing!!

Take care and happy holidays!!

Rob and Janet Young

warrlaw1
12-02-2014, 02:34 PM
A breath of fresh air to hear from you.

Roscomacaw
12-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Wow! Great to hear from you. Keep us posted - don't be a stranger.

BobPalma
12-02-2014, 06:59 PM
:) This is all good news, Rob. All the best and don't be a stranger indeed! :cool: BP

57pack
12-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Prayers still being sent from New Jersey and a hearty welcome back Rob!
You're as tough as our Studebakers! And Packards!

studelark
12-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Rob; It is so good to hear from you personally. Thank the Lord you survived that accident and we're now hearing from you directly. Later in 2011, I came down with serious infections in my right leg that led to several surgeries and a lot of bedtime and wheelchair time. By Spring 2013, I was back on my feet. By the grace of the Lord, my wife and family, my church and Studebaker families, I'm still kicking and looking forward to celebrating my 78th BD in Feb. '15. Take care and keep in touch with us.

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
M16-52 '48 Boyer-bodied fire truck

drpreposterous
12-02-2014, 08:04 PM
More prayers from up here in Michigan....
I believe in the collective power of our voices lifted up. We're behind you, Rob!

Chicken Hawk
12-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Great news!! Good to hear from both of you.

Ted & Mary Ann

rayoung55
12-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Folks,

Thanks for all of your positive remarks. I hope to be back with you Stude folks. We already joined the Dakotas SDC chapter.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. They truly did work!!

Rob

Buzzard
12-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Rob,
Thoughts and good wishes from your friends in Canada!
Bill

studeclunker
12-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Wonderful to hear you're up and about Rob!:D