53 or 54 Commander Pro Touring Parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 or 54 Commander Pro Touring Parts?

I saw a 53 Commander at Crusin the Coast a couple of weeks ago done up Pro Touring. I was looking to buy a 69 Camaro while there but now have changed my mind. I looked the 53 over while I was there and have since started looking and found several 53 and 54 to buy. My question is how readily available are parts? The cars that I have found are mostly intact but need paint and redoing the interior. Back at my question to everyone how available are upgrade or aftermarket parts for this or is this something that all one off? I have seen where some people have did frame swaps off of other cars and some have just had chassis built. Really don't know what is better? I was told not too many up grades to the frame for ride or being able to handle much horsepower. Camaro's you can buy anything but how much is offered for this car? Or could a idea like this turn into a money pit?

To give you a idea of what I am wanting to do is put a small block chevy 500hp, 700R transmission and 17" tires and wheels. I want it set up Pro Touring so that it can ride good and be driven. Not daily but like most people at Crusin the Coast put 200-500 miles on their car in 4 days.

I am open to all ideas and help.

There's a lot of stuff out there.

Art Morrison does a complete replacement frame for 53/4 coupes (square tubing, Mustang II-type front suspension, etc). Fatman makes a front subframe (others might too). Slick Street Stuff (www.slickstreetstuff.com) makes a rack and pinion front suspension and a triangulated rear setup for stock frames. Several companies make fiberglass fenders, hoods, doors, dashes, and decklids for 53/4's too (check http://www.classglassperformance.com...tudebaker.html for example).
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Any car can be a money pit if you don't have time and tools to do it yourself. The 53-54's are able to take most any engine or power that you can throw at them up to 5 or 600HP. After that think Morrison.

Comment

Originally posted by vrodracing90 View Post
        I saw a 53 Commander at Crusin the Coast a couple of weeks ago done up Pro Touring. I was looking to buy a 69 Camaro while there but now have changed my mind. I looked the 53 over while I was there and have since started looking and found several 53 and 54 to buy. My question is how readily available are parts? The cars that I have found are mostly intact but need paint and redoing the interior. Back at my question to everyone how available are upgrade or aftermarket parts for this or is this something that all one off? I have seen where some people have did frame swaps off of other cars and some have just had chassis built. Really don't know what is better? I was told not too many up grades to the frame for ride or being able to handle much horsepower. Camaro's you can buy anything but how much is offered for this car? Or could a idea like this turn into a money pit?

To give you a idea of what I am wanting to do is put a small block chevy 500hp, 700R transmission and 17" tires and wheels. I want it set up Pro Touring so that it can ride good and be driven. Not daily but like most people at Crusin the Coast put 200-500 miles on their car in 4 days.

I am open to all ideas and help.

My guess is that for the cost of a 69 Camaro in decent shape, you can purchase a 53-54 C/K in decent shape and an Art Morrison frame. Look for member ralt12 as he has just that setup.

Studebaker frames are not known for their heavy construction. You can build a pretty decent road car with a good Stude frame and completely rebuilt suspension but if I were to do what you are targeting, I'd spend the money up front and have a state-of-the-art undercarriage. Then driving style, big HP drive train and the ability to truly have a pro touring car are guaranteed.

My 83 Avanti is a nice driver with a completely rebuilt suspension and big HP SBC but it's not a pro-touring. You'll have $2000 in a complete suspension rebuild and much more in a suspension conversion. With the AM complete frame you are way ahead to start.

The 53/54 sheet metal is not inexpensive but the availability of glass parts has already been noted. Everything is available and most parts are actually relatively cheap.

Welcome and it doesn't happen if you don't post your build.

Bob
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 10-25-2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Unlike the 69 Camero, the 53 Stude was born a pro tourer. Here's one with a 53 body, a T-Grier frame,
          and a 500 H.P. Studebaker engine (more or less- about 300 less). Last trip was about 800 miles, at 55
          to 75 mph, and at 20 mpg. A three speed with OD. Parts are hard to find and costly. You wouldn't like
          a 53 Stude. Stick with the cookie cutter car, and be happy. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Comment

Thanks for the help. The reason I said money pit was because I was not sure if there was little offered after market and everything was going to to one off. So far looking around I have found very few that offer any interior stuff. Is that some of the harder things to find offered aftermarket? Speaking of complete frames who has the best bang for the buck? One of you mentioned that glass is hard to find why is no one making it or none is offered? When putting a new frame underneath is mini tubing required or needed?

Comment

Originally posted by vrodracing90 View Post
              Thanks for the help. The reason I said money pit was because I was not sure if there was little offered after market and everything was going to to one off. So far looking around I have found very few that offer any interior stuff. Is that some of the harder things to find offered aftermarket? Speaking of complete frames who has the best bang for the buck? One of you mentioned that glass is hard to find why is no one making it or none is offered? When putting a new frame underneath is mini tubing required or needed?
              I don't know who said that the glass is hard to find, (whether it be windshield, back glass, side glass or fiberglass) you should never listen to anything they have to say ever again.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

What exactly is Pro Touring? I hear the term from time to time, but it doesn't make any more sense than Pro Street. I know Pro Street originally indicated a street car that looked like a pro stock drag car.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Same thing, but able to turn corners with the best of them..
                  Modern drivertrain, slalom capable suspension.
                  Nice interior....

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  What exactly is Pro Touring? I hear the term from time to time, but it doesn't make any more sense than Pro Street. I know Pro Street originally indicated a street car that looked like a pro stock drag car.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Another option for a front clip is www.Industrialchassisinc.com that looks good. Art Morrison's frame is excellent but does not have any mounts in place. www.Jwrodgarage.com makes a full frame with mounts and is a little cheaper but I haven't seen any comparison between the two for handling or ride.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post

Well a Pro Street in alot of the cars is just a drag car with head lights. A pro touring is a good mix. It is a car that has a hot motor, can be driven to rally's or Hotroding tours, It has a upgraded suspension, transmissions, rearends, some have different chassis, some look stock on the in side and out side but all up dated under neath, some look radical on the out and some are some peoples ideas of if the car came out now what it would look like and be equiped with. Most of all ride a lot better, handle better and preform better.

Comment

Working...
                      X