Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DANG! Good '55 C/K lost in political crossfire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DANG! Good '55 C/K lost in political crossfire!

Photos from 50 years ago: World News in 1961.

See Photo #32. Thanks for the link, Barry.

(And we worry about forum enthusiasm being lost in political crossfire....hey, we can make more Studebaker enthusiasts, but the supply of 1955 C/K Studes is a fixed and dwindling entity....now this is serious business! <GGG>)

How about the irony of Photo #19? A decade later, Volkswagen microbusses would be the vehicle de jour for the peace & love, anti-establishment counterculture! My, how times change....and #37; not an "import" in sight in Times Square, but a three-year-old 1958 Impala convertible looking a little worse for wear in The Big Apple. Gulp.

Enjoy:

The Atlantic, The Atlantic Magazine, TheAtlantic.com, Atlantic, news, opinion, breaking news, analysis, commentary, business, politics, culture, international, science, technology, national and life
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Wow. Neat pieces of history. The U.S. embassy in Cairo owned that 55? Would love to have a set of diplomatic plates for mine, but then I'd have to be diplomatic when I drove it
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Picture #44 I was there setting in a 5 ton loaded with ammo about 6 blocks behind the tank.I remember this very well. Nobody didn't know what was going to happen next.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
        Picture #44 I was there setting in a 5 ton loaded with ammo about 6 blocks behind the tank.I remember this very well. Nobody knew what was going to happen next.
        Wow, Carl; I'll bet you would remember that well! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

One thing I always look for, when led to a site like this is to use the search function on the site to look for other Studebaker references...
          For example, here's what is listed on this site....
          Jeff

The Atlantic covers news, politics, culture, technology, health, and more, through its articles, podcasts, videos, and flagship magazine.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Photos from 50 years ago: World News in 1961.
          <snip>
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Cool, Jeff; good idea, and thanks. BP

Comment

Wow loved that history. Just before my day, but still stuff leading up my early memories. Civil rights war and Vietnam war all part of my early life. I remember having just been down in Watts to visit a friend like a week before the riots and not being able to go down there for a VERY long time.

A few of those pics were of serious interest to me...Pic 7 especially....I love me some motorcycles and Nortys are some of my all time favs.

Comment

#32 Sad.
                #7,#14 Awesome.
                #2 WANT!
                #19 I love when the little guy in the front got his face melted in Raiders of the Lost Ark!
                Andy
                62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  One thing I always look for, when led to a site like this is to use the search function on the site to look for other Studebaker references...
                  Yes, Jeff, I like to do the same, such as on this thead about a city's photo archives where Studebakers are shown. I searched out other cities' archives as well.

Craig

Comment

Neat pictures in History,... I was expecting to see Forest Gump in some of those pictures.
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Those pictures really brought back memories. Unfortunately many were not all that pleasant. Interesting none the less. Thanks for posting the link.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                        Neat pictures in History,... I was expecting to see Forest Gump in some of those pictures.
                        He's in Photo #3, Allen: Row 33 from the very back; 18th person in from the left side, holding a bottle of Bubble-Up. BP

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                          Picture #44 I was there setting in a 5 ton loaded with ammo about 6 blocks behind the tank.I remember this very well. Nobody didn't know what was going to happen next.
                          And just to think that the Berlin Wall and East Germany are no more..............22 years ago they started crumbling-------literally.
                          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

#24 is prophetic: think flat screen and VCR.
                            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I also remember this time in my life very well, 1st half of 1961 I was in The Army in Orleans,France, Came back to Ft Cambell,Ky in July of 1961 to join the 101st Airborne Div. In Oct of 1962 we sat on the runway in Ft Campbell engines running, ready to go to Cuba, during the Cuban Missile crises. Luckily for me Kennedy called it off, as Khrushchev backed down.
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X