Potomac Chapter Fall Tour this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac Chapter Fall Tour this weekend

Leaving shortly to drive the Avanti to Winchester, VA where 29 of us are meeting for the tour. We will caravan to Romney, WV to ride the Potomac Eagle, an excursion train that travels along the South Branch of the Potomac River- fall foliage, eagle sightings, plus. After the train ride we will caravan to Cacapon State Resort Park near Berkeley Springs, WV to spend the next two nights at the lodge there. Saturday morning we will caravan to Paw Paw, WV to visit the Paw Paw Tunnel, an attraction in the C&O Canal National Historic Park. Sunday, homeward bound.
    Quite a bit of fairly mountainous driving. Of course the Studes will be up to it.
    After tour report follows Sunday or Monday.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I am really jealous. That tour sounds like a great time. I love that area. I have visited the Paw Paw Tunnel and its history is amazing. As a matter of fact many years ago my son and I atteneded a Zone Meet in Martinsburg as a part of our bicycle trip down the C&O Canal trail. Enjoy your trip and revel in your surroundings.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

As a past member of the Potomac Chapter, I can tell you that a lot of time and effort goes into the planing for these tours. Really good times.

Comment

Update. The tour came off as planned and no major problems were experienced. We met in Winchester with only one soul who was lost (we talked him in by cell phone). Uneventful trip to Romney and on to the train. Boarding was handled very efficiently and we left on time for three-hour, 17-mile ride (34 miles round trip) even though it was very busy with a large crowd. The train, using vintage passenger cars and diesel locomotives, followed the South Branch of the Potomac River with about 40 minutes of the ride each way spent going through the "Trough" where the Mountains come to the edge of the river and the train clings to the slope on one side. Our train had 13 cars with a locomotive on each end. One car was an open gondola and the next car was an open covered car- great for taking pictures. Many bald Eagles nest and live in the Trough and everyone was able to see them flying and perched. It was pretty cool and a heavy rain and high wind had stripped many of the leaves from the trees so the foliage wasn't as primo as it was supposed to be

Entering the Trough

In the Trough

Gondola and Open Car

Chapter VP Ron and Estelle Salen Lark at the ticket office

After the train ride we caravanned about 50 miles to the Cacapon State Resort Park, a very large state park south of Berkeley Springs, WV, where we had rooms reserved. We also had our group dinner there Friday evening with the food being surprisingly good.

At The Cacapon Lodge

Saturday morning we caravanned about 35 miles to the Paw Paw Tunnel- pretty mountainous and winding, but beautiful drive and the Studes handled it just fine.

Paw Paw Tunnel parking lot

Paw Paw Tunnel- built between 1836 and 1850 with picks, shovels, and black powder- allowed the C&O Canal to bypass six miles of the Potomac River where there were five horse shoe bends

The overlook between Berkeley Springs and Paw Paw- supposed to be able to see four states from here- Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. We had lunch at Panorama at the Peak Restaurant here, pricey, but very highly rated. As tour master I had underestimated the amount of time people would want to stay at the Tunnel so we were nearly an hour late getting to our reservation at the restaurant and no cell service to call them,, but it worked out fine.

Saturday evening entertainment at the Lodge

Sunday morning from our room at the Lodge

'64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

What a wonderful time it looks like you folks had. As beautiful as I knew it would be.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by SILENTBOB View Post
            As a past member of the Potomac Chapter, I can tell you that a lot of time and effort goes into the planing for these tours. Really good times.
            Are you still in the area? We would love to have you re-join.
            Yes, planning the tours is time consuming and even expensive because you pretty well have to do the tour in advance to make sure it's going to work (and even then you get surprises).

Comment

I'm about 2300 miles to the west in Rancho Mirage, CA

Comment

Dear 53 K

What a nice journey!

May I use the photo of trhe white 62 Lark in out chapters bulletin in Chile? (named The Stamina )

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo View Post
                  Dear 53 K

What a nice journey!

May I use the photo of trhe white 62 Lark in out chapters bulletin in Chile? (named The Stamina )

Regards
                  You certainly may. If possible could we get a copy of your bulletin? An email version would be fine.

Comment

I was Tourmaster for the Keystone Region Chapter for 5-1/2 years.
                    For as long as I can remember we have had a Spring Tour and Fall Tour; at least two days overnight or three days, often joining with other chapters for the weekend.
                    I just can't describe the friendships that have been built, or the many interesting places we've visited as a group; places I never would have visited on my own.
                    I don't care how large or small your chapter is; a weekend tour in Studebakers is the cat's meow!
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                    X