Power top pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power top pump

Hi folks I've got a '63 Lark convertible with a bad power top pump. I'm not having any luck finding one. Any ideas???

Tom

Tom,

Convertible Service outta San Gabriel, CA has a pump for $220. Their order hotline is (800) 333-1140
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have a good used one in a '63 for $125.

Comment

Many times I have dis-assembled these pumps and found the gear rotor pump stuck - after all, the hydraulic fluid is brake fluid. After a little careful work to remove and clean the pump rotor, some general cleaning, and o-ring replacement, they work as good as new.

Comment

When I redid our Lark ragtop years ago - I replaced everything in the top hydraulics, save for the pump. The pump I thoroughly cleaned and reassembled - it was grunged solid with the brake fluid goo. But when I recharged the system with fluide, I used automatic tranny fluid. Still works some 25 years later.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Got on their site. They have more than one but no Studey I can see. Does it just have to be Ford? or...?

Comment

Tom,

I called their toll free # and asked. The fella said he's sold pumps for Studebakers and looked up the number for me while I waited.

Comment

I bought one from these guys for my 1963 Daytona Convertible:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1960-1964 Studebaker Lark, Daytona convertible top pump at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I'm curious - did they really charge you $40 bucks for Priority Mail delivery?

Comment

Wow that is alot of shipping. That pump does not look longer than 15" + - ? You can ship that thru USPS for $14 ish...nice way to make some extra cash I guess.

Comment

Yeah, I just recieved that pair of coil springs I ordered from Rock Auto and the shipping on them - via FedEx - was only $17 bucks. And they were here in less than a week. I see where R2-4-me is in Canada, and that could cost more if it was shipped from the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                        I'm curious - did they really charge you $40 bucks for Priority Mail delivery?
                        I have all my purchases shipped to Buffalo NY, to a friends place. It often takes a while to get my purchases but it avoids ridiculous cross border shipping charges, brokerage fees by the carrier and 14% taxes crossing the border. Shipping was about the $12 that they quoted.
                        1964 GT Hawk
                        PSMCDR 2014
                        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                        PSMCDR 2013
                        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

$12 bucks certainly sounds more acceptable. Maybe the seller's just coving his rear with that $40 figure. That brings another ebay story of late to mind. I ignored ebay's "auto-calculation" thingy in a recent auction I had for a quartet of vintage AC bracketry I was selling. Think: HEAVY. Guy wins it for the opening bid - at which I JUST recoup what I had in the stuff. Within minutes he's sent payment via PayPal. I thanked him and noted that ebays calculations were far from reality, and it would cost more than what he'd sent me. (Shipping was shown as 12-something and in reality, it was closer to $40 bucks via UPS ground. "SCAMMER! SCAMMER!" he shot back. "You'll ship it to me for what you advertized or I'll report you to ebay. I was gonna LOSE money on this one. I tried to reason with the guy, but he was adamant that I ship for what he'd sent me. I was gonna be about 20 in the hole, but I figured it was time to be done with it and move on.
                          After I sent the stuff, I took a photo of the UPS receipt and sent it to him. With that he was ALL apologies. Volunteered that he would make up the difference come pay day - a day which obviously has never come.

Comment

I got one for my 62 Daytona from a pick a part yard. I have found that all the convertible pumps are the same! Even the wiring harness on them have the same type plug on them. This goes for ones I have found on Mustangs, Sebrings, Saabs, ect. It seems also that the use of brake fluid had been stopped some years ago. When I did mine I used tranny fluid too after a good & though flush, same as what Biggs did.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I used to buy them outta junkyards too. About the only difference you'd ever see was the size of the resevoir tank, and that really doesn't make a difference from one application to another. I have found different electrical plugs, but that's an easy fix.

Comment

Working...
                              X