1950 Champion Wiring Schematics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1950 Champion Wiring Schematics

Anyone out there know where I can get some information on electrical wiring schematics for a 1950 Champion?

My Champion has an engine wire coming out of the firewall with a closed loop end that is not attached to anything but regardless, the car runs fine. The previous owner didn't know what it was supposed to be attached to either when he refurbished the engine wiring.

Any info. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Try to look under the dash and see where the wire starts.
    Good luck!

Comment

The schematics are in the shop manual. VERY helpful. Our vendors sell these (repops) but extremly useful.

Mark

Comment

Will give that a shot -- haven't had any knocks on the head lately. Thanks for the response.

Anthony

Comment

I don't know when the practice started, but some cars began using wiring harnesses that were pre-wired for accessories such as under hood lights, turn signals, fog lights, heater motors, etc. Land Cruisers using the automatic transmissions used an electrical "no-roll" (hill-holder) that had a wire and switch on the accelerator linkage. Could be that you have a wire that went to an accessory that was never used or had been removed or disconnected.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hi John,

Now there's a thought. It would be easier to buy that rationale than to spend hours trying to figure out if the wire is supposed to be connected to anything. Like I said, the car runs OK, i.e., starts up like an old car, runs like an old car, and all the lights work with no apparent hitches that might be attributed to a disconnected wire. So for now, the best best would be not worry about it. Thanks for that perspective.

Anthony

Comment

Only wire I can think of that was in the harness but not used would be the hot wire to the overdrive kick-down switch if the car was not equipped with overdrive.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Blu Stu View Post
                Anyone out there know where I can get some information on electrical wiring schematics for a 1950 Champion?

My Champion has an engine wire coming out of the firewall with a closed loop end that is not attached to anything but regardless, the car runs fine. The previous owner didn't know what it was supposed to be attached to either when he refurbished the engine wiring.

Any info. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
                Here you will find the wiring diagram .Move the magnifier around to increase size.

....Dick Curtis
                The 1950 Champion Starlight
                Santa Barbara
                CA

Comment

Thank you Dick, much appreciated. The responses I've received so far, including yours, have been very informative. Perhaps as John indicated, maybe the wire was intended for an accessory that wasn't purchased or has been removed, since it doesn't appear to affect the operation of the car. Thanks again.

Comment

Seldom used functions usually have unconnected wires like horns, cigar lighter, and old Am radio.
                    Check to see if the wire has 12 volts with a test light or voltmeter. Try tracing the wire back using
                    its color code through the bundle. If has 12 volts tape it up to prevent shorts.
                    The 1950 Champion Starlight
                    Santa Barbara
                    CA

Comment

Originally posted by starlightchamp View Post
                      Seldom used functions usually have unconnected wires like horns, cigar lighter, and old Am radio.
                      Check to see if the wire has 12 volts with a test light or voltmeter. Try tracing the wire back using
                      its color code through the bundle. If has 12 volts tape it up to prevent shorts.
                      Six volts, not 12.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                      X