58PH - Leather, Airbox, fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58PH - Leather, Airbox, fuel

I finally got my 58 Packard Hawk out. I'd hoped to take it to SB, but time is short. It has not been really driven for a while. (About 4 years ago I drove it to a local meet. It was previusly licensed in 2000.)(I have also read the generic instructions on the SDC main page.)

Questions:

(1) The supercharger has been off for many years. I have another, but I'm not sure if I have the brackets and other stuff. It seems to run well, even on the old gas (I did put in some preservative). Question: What gas should a non-supercharged but high compression engine need?

(2) Airbox: There is a little flap across the front of the airbox that slips sideways. It does not seem to be moving - pushed to the side?? Should I try to oil or fix or recreate or can I put some tape over it or should I leave it alone?

(3) Leather upholstery: Excellent overall condition original cracked leather upholstery. 1 minor 1/2 inch tear. Some colouring variations due to sun and spills, and vinyl armrests don't match. Questions: How should I restore? Colour, then put conditioner in or put conditioner in, then colour? Or best advice. New is $5K - reasonable, but a little expensive right now.

I'm changing oil and checking brakes this afternoon.

Paul R

Best one to talk to about Packard Hawks is Mike Williams at www.packardhawk.com Whenever I have any questions or problems with mine, I email him. He is the Packard Hawk Guru...

Comment

Best one to talk to about Packard Hawks is Mike Williams at www.packardhawk.com Whenever I have any questions or problems with mine, I email him. He is the Packard Hawk Guru...

Comment

re: the leather, I would check out leatherique products, I have never used them but have heard nothing but good things about them. Ask them your questions and what they'd recommend you do. Personally I would try to recolor what you have to make it more uniform; I think a little cracking is acceptable and adds character to an old car. Certainly you won't get value for money in terms of appearance improvement with all new leather seat covers. Might want to check with a local upholstery shop to see if there's anything they could do about the tear - gluing a patch from behind, etc.

You don't need premium gas at all until you have the blower back on. Your engine should have something like 7:1 compression and it'll probably run on just about anything that a reasonable person would think to feed it.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

re: the leather, I would check out leatherique products, I have never used them but have heard nothing but good things about them. Ask them your questions and what they'd recommend you do. Personally I would try to recolor what you have to make it more uniform; I think a little cracking is acceptable and adds character to an old car. Certainly you won't get value for money in terms of appearance improvement with all new leather seat covers. Might want to check with a local upholstery shop to see if there's anything they could do about the tear - gluing a patch from behind, etc.

You don't need premium gas at all until you have the blower back on. Your engine should have something like 7:1 compression and it'll probably run on just about anything that a reasonable person would think to feed it.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

What serial # Hawk do you have ????

Comment

What serial # Hawk do you have ????

Comment

Hi Paul,
                I liked the picture of your flash red Hawk on this months cover of TW. In 1993 Rogers kids were just kids. They obviously grew up and it looks like they have Don McMurrich's 56 Hawk.

Re your dads Packard Hawk.

1 They have dished pistons like a normal 289 so any gas will go.

2 The flapper valve on the airbox does not matter if it is open or closed if the car does not have the blower fitted. It will just let a bit of air in that does not go through the air filter.

That flapper valve is available from most good parts dealers ie Myers. The flapper valve closes to the box when the blower starts boosting the air going into the motor as it pushes more air in than a naturally aspirated car sucks in naturally.

3 I would leave the leather alone. If anything rub some Dubbin in to soften it. Gerry's car is obviously not getting much use, and if the interior looks OK and original, just leave it. Most people know nothing bout Packard Hawks anyway, and it is nice to see a car with an original appearance with lifes scrapes, indicating use as a proper car at some previous time.

Since Packard Hawks are so unusual at any meet, just having one at South Bend will be more than enough. I think there were 4 PH's at SB in 2002.

Concentrate on the brakes etc and get that sexy weapon to South Bend.

I will be stuck in my garage here in the UK working like a mad man on my 1939 Convertible, dreaming of being in Stude heaven. Say Hi to Sandy for me if you see that scally wag.

Good luck
                Greg

Greg Diffen
                Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
                1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
                1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
                1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
                1988 Avanti Convertible
                Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Hi Paul,
                  I liked the picture of your flash red Hawk on this months cover of TW. In 1993 Rogers kids were just kids. They obviously grew up and it looks like they have Don McMurrich's 56 Hawk.

Re your dads Packard Hawk.

1 They have dished pistons like a normal 289 so any gas will go.

2 The flapper valve on the airbox does not matter if it is open or closed if the car does not have the blower fitted. It will just let a bit of air in that does not go through the air filter.

That flapper valve is available from most good parts dealers ie Myers. The flapper valve closes to the box when the blower starts boosting the air going into the motor as it pushes more air in than a naturally aspirated car sucks in naturally.

3 I would leave the leather alone. If anything rub some Dubbin in to soften it. Gerry's car is obviously not getting much use, and if the interior looks OK and original, just leave it. Most people know nothing bout Packard Hawks anyway, and it is nice to see a car with an original appearance with lifes scrapes, indicating use as a proper car at some previous time.

Since Packard Hawks are so unusual at any meet, just having one at South Bend will be more than enough. I think there were 4 PH's at SB in 2002.

Concentrate on the brakes etc and get that sexy weapon to South Bend.

I will be stuck in my garage here in the UK working like a mad man on my 1939 Convertible, dreaming of being in Stude heaven. Say Hi to Sandy for me if you see that scally wag.

Good luck
                  Greg

Greg Diffen
                  Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
                  1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
                  1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
                  1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
                  1988 Avanti Convertible
                  Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                  1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                  1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                  1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                  1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                  1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

You may want to check around about reupholstering. If you can find a reasonable shop to do the work, and buy the leather yourself, it might cost a lot less than you think. Full hides, in any color you want, are available for about $300-$350 and will yield about 45 sq. ft. each. Two, possibly three would be all you need. Check Kanter or Bill Hirsch for good leather.

Comment

You may want to check around about reupholstering. If you can find a reasonable shop to do the work, and buy the leather yourself, it might cost a lot less than you think. Full hides, in any color you want, are available for about $300-$350 and will yield about 45 sq. ft. each. Two, possibly three would be all you need. Check Kanter or Bill Hirsch for good leather.

Comment

Attention: Mr. Diffen,
                        Wear your Studebaker Truck Farmer Badge next week and think of the ones of us that make it to South Bend.

Greg, I'm really excited about this meet like no other in my memory. We are having a catered STF dinner Tuesday night at SASCO (85 seats filled) and now have 212 Studebaker Truck Fans signed on to a fun group Known as the new Studebaker Truck Farmers.

A rare treat is that Chuck Naugle of Arizona, the guy that started the original Truck Farmers and featured in the May Turning Wheels, will be there with us in South Bend.

I have something you might like to have, the STUDE NEWS newsletter from The Studebaker Car Club of Australia Inc. from February 1995, No.315, from when I visited with you in Australia. It has your name all over it. Email me if you didn't save a copy.

I'll think of you and the "Chick Magnet" Catfish Packard Hawk next week.

Regards,
                        Bob Feaganes

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                        53 Starliner Hardtop
                        Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Attention: Mr. Diffen,
                          Wear your Studebaker Truck Farmer Badge next week and think of the ones of us that make it to South Bend.

Greg, I'm really excited about this meet like no other in my memory. We are having a catered STF dinner Tuesday night at SASCO (85 seats filled) and now have 212 Studebaker Truck Fans signed on to a fun group Known as the new Studebaker Truck Farmers.

A rare treat is that Chuck Naugle of Arizona, the guy that started the original Truck Farmers and featured in the May Turning Wheels, will be there with us in South Bend.

I have something you might like to have, the STUDE NEWS newsletter from The Studebaker Car Club of Australia Inc. from February 1995, No.315, from when I visited with you in Australia. It has your name all over it. Email me if you didn't save a copy.

I'll think of you and the "Chick Magnet" Catfish Packard Hawk next week.

Regards,
                          Bob Feaganes

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                          53 Starliner Hardtop
                          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Paul,
                            Do I have your car listed on the roster of surviving Packard Hawks? If not send me the number from the car and I will send you a roster in return.
                            The flapper valve should be on the inside of the air box. I am unsure about whether yours is inside or outside. With no SC it makes no difference if its there or not. It is attached with two screws but it sounds as though yours is missing one.
                            The arm rests are a different color because only the top of the arm rest was leather. The rest of the door panel is vinyl.
                            If I can be of any assistance let me know.

Mike

Comment

Paul,
                              Do I have your car listed on the roster of surviving Packard Hawks? If not send me the number from the car and I will send you a roster in return.
                              The flapper valve should be on the inside of the air box. I am unsure about whether yours is inside or outside. With no SC it makes no difference if its there or not. It is attached with two screws but it sounds as though yours is missing one.
                              The arm rests are a different color because only the top of the arm rest was leather. The rest of the door panel is vinyl.
                              If I can be of any assistance let me know.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X