Studebaker kindness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker kindness.

So in this day and age of "me first", and people just not caring about other people, if you doubt this statement watch TV sometime especially some reality type of show, I got to witness a selfless act of true kindness and generosity today.

Backround setting: I live in a tract house that is a cookie cutter like all of the others in my neighborhood. Because of the way they are laid oy my yard actually touches 5 other yards, so I have 5 contacting neighbors. While a few of them are somewhat friendly and not neccesarily bad people, none of them are particularly considerate. We have the all night partiers behind us. The cranky old people behind and caticorner to use who wont pay to fix the falling down broken fence between us, but still complain that they dont like the way it looks after I pay and do the labor to build a new one "it doesnt match the rest of my fence" which is all falling down. Behind and caticorner the other way has the dog that barks 24 hours a day and are oblivious to it, then act like "what dog barking?" if I mention it. Then to my left, the guy who has lost his house but his two 20 something yr old kids are basically squating there and dont know what water or a mower is on a lawn, have 3 kids that have no idea of boundries, and think sitting in their front yard {which is actually connected to my yard like one big yard} and talking very loudly without being able to form a sentence without at least 2 explanatives is just the way to live.

Then to my right, the family who hangs out with the knuckleheads to my left. They all chain smoke like their life counted how fast they could suck them down. I am NOT trying to pick on people that smoke, just irresponsible idoits that care nothing for other people or their property. My daughter has very serious Asthma. These people all sit in their yards in groups of 2-10 people smoking in huge clouds of smoke that we cant even have our windows open because we choke out on the smoke.

If that is not enough, they all have no idea of what an ash tray or trash can is. I find piles of cigarette butts in my yard, pool, street and all over my property. I have literally cleaned up my yard and had a FULL hand of cigarette butts. I daily have to clean up empty beer and soda cans, juice boxes, popsickle wrappers, and anything else them and their kids consume.

I am very blessed with a wonderful family, amazing friends, and a beautiful congregation so I have not lost hope in humankind as a rule, but surrounded by such selfishness and uncaring people on a daily basis is very trying.

THEN, out of the blue, for NO reason, an SDC member makes such a generous, selfless, and kind offer for no reason other than the goodness of his heart. VERY reasurring for me, that people are still good overall.

For those who missed it, in a thread I started asking for info on hopping up my 232, "No replacement for displacement", an SDC member-Roscomaccaw- offered me a good condition, running 289 motor as a start for my truck. NO strings attached. No reason for doing it. We have no previous friendship, he not an old buddy, or some contact business or otherwise. I am on a tight budget these days and willing to spend what it takes to get my 2R on the road, but need to make sure I make each dollar count. For Bob to make a generous offer of a good starter motor was uncalled for, unsolicited, and of no benefit to him. YET he did it anyways. He did just to help out and support a fellow club member.

After the people I see daily and am forced to deal with, what a refreshing reminder that there are still LOTS of GOOD folks out there today.

The principle of "treat others as you would want them to treat you" is a great way to live your life. What goes around comes around is a great reminder to live by.

Bob, Mr. Biggs, Roscomaccaw, Thank You Very Much.

If you ever get a chance to meet Bob, you will enjoy his stories and love all of the cool trinketts, memorabilia, and neat stuff he will show you. I had a long drive up to central Ca. Almost 6 hours, and knew I had a long drive home ahead of, yet I could not hardly leave because I was truely enjoying Bob's company. I ended up being there about 2.5 hours just hanging out and gaining knowledge.

Side note: Bob had someone PM him and offer hime some cash for the motor after he offered it to me for free, I told him to feel free to accept the cash, that I would not hold him to his offer if there was a profit to be made for him, YET, he stood by his word and backed up his offer even at a loss to himself.

Honor is a great quality. THANK YOU Bob! I will do my best to do you proud and get it on the road soon.

Thought I would share, hope it was not too long winded folks.

That's been my experience with Bob too. I think all of the Studes I've owned (there's been a handful) had a few parts from him that he donated, and wouldn't accept more than the cost of shipping.

Comment

Good deal, sounds like a good guy. If you are around the hobby long enough you'll run into a few real good ones.
      Travis..

Comment

Could be the name Bob. I know two in the SDC who have helped me, "no strings attached".
        sigpic
        55 President Deluxe
        64 Commander
        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

I really enjoy the folks in this club, Bobs and non-Bobs alike. I've got a little trinket Mr. Kabchef sent me with another part few years back. If things go well this winter, i should be able to show you all the neat way I'm incorporating it into my 52. More on that later.
          As for your neighbors. All I've got to say is that I live next to a very old cemetary. And I've found that these folks are they very best neighbors I've ever had.

Comment

To say Roscomaccaw is a straight up guy says it all.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Mr. Kabchef sent me 51 Owners guide which I am very thank for. And neighbors I have one about a city block away on one side and about 1/8th mile the other way nothing across the road but timber and behind me it's about a half mile to the nearest house. I love it.

Comment

Yes, there are still some decent people left in this mad world. By word of mouth, I was able to secure a replacement flathead for my 57 Champion from Long Island through another SDC member. The donor knew me not. When I met him I found out that he had serious health problems, as does my spouse. When I offered to give him something for the engine and trans he refused. Then there are those who would fight you for a parking space!
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                  So in this day and age of "me first", and people just not caring about other people, if you doubt this statement watch TV sometime especially some reality type of show, I got to witness a selfless act of true kindness and generosity today.

Backround setting: I live in a tract house that is a cookie cutter like all of the others in my neighborhood. Because of the way they are laid oy my yard actually touches 5 other yards, so I have 5 contacting neighbors. While a few of them are somewhat friendly and not neccesarily bad people, none of them are particularly considerate. We have the all night partiers behind us. The cranky old people behind and caticorner to use who wont pay to fix the falling down broken fence between us, but still complain that they dont like the way it looks after I pay and do the labor to build a new one "it doesnt match the rest of my fence" which is all falling down. Behind and caticorner the other way has the dog that barks 24 hours a day and are oblivious to it, then act like "what dog barking?" if I mention it. Then to my left, the guy who has lost his house but his two 20 something yr old kids are basically squating there and dont know what water or a mower is on a lawn, have 3 kids that have no idea of boundries, and think sitting in their front yard {which is actually connected to my yard like one big yard} and talking very loudly without being able to form a sentence without at least 2 explanatives is just the way to live.

Then to my right, the family who hangs out with the knuckleheads to my left. They all chain smoke like their life counted how fast they could suck them down. I am NOT trying to pick on people that smoke, just irresponsible idoits that care nothing for other people or their property. My daughter has very serious Asthma. These people all sit in their yards in groups of 2-10 people smoking in huge clouds of smoke that we cant even have our windows open because we choke out on the smoke.

If that is not enough, they all have no idea of what an ash tray or trash can is. I find piles of cigarette butts in my yard, pool, street and all over my property. I have literally cleaned up my yard and had a FULL hand of cigarette butts. I daily have to clean up empty beer and soda cans, juice boxes, popsickle wrappers, and anything else them and their kids consume.

I am very blessed with a wonderful family, amazing friends, and a beautiful congregation so I have not lost hope in humankind as a rule, but surrounded by such selfishness and uncaring people on a daily basis is very trying.

THEN, out of the blue, for NO reason, an SDC member makes such a generous, selfless, and kind offer for no reason other than the goodness of his heart. VERY reasurring for me, that people are still good overall.

For those who missed it, in a thread I started asking for info on hopping up my 232, "No replacement for displacement", an SDC member-Roscomaccaw- offered me a good condition, running 289 motor as a start for my truck. NO strings attached. No reason for doing it. We have no previous friendship, he not an old buddy, or some contact business or otherwise. I am on a tight budget these days and willing to spend what it takes to get my 2R on the road, but need to make sure I make each dollar count. For Bob to make a generous offer of a good starter motor was uncalled for, unsolicited, and of no benefit to him. YET he did it anyways. He did just to help out and support a fellow club member.

After the people I see daily and am forced to deal with, what a refreshing reminder that there are still LOTS of GOOD folks out there today.

The principle of "treat others as you would want them to treat you" is a great way to live your life. What goes around comes around is a great reminder to live by.

Bob, Mr. Biggs, Roscomaccaw, Thank You Very Much.

If you ever get a chance to meet Bob, you will enjoy his stories and love all of the cool trinketts, memorabilia, and neat stuff he will show you. I had a long drive up to central Ca. Almost 6 hours, and knew I had a long drive home ahead of, yet I could not hardly leave because I was truely enjoying Bob's company. I ended up being there about 2.5 hours just hanging out and gaining knowledge.

Side note: Bob had someone PM him and offer hime some cash for the motor after he offered it to me for free, I told him to feel free to accept the cash, that I would not hold him to his offer if there was a profit to be made for him, YET, he stood by his word and backed up his offer even at a loss to himself.

Honor is a great quality. THANK YOU Bob! I will do my best to do you proud and get it on the road soon.

Thought I would share, hope it was not too long winded folks.
                  I don't know what the ratio of caring vs non-caring are in the world but I know a lot of good people in this neck of the woods. Your experience with the engine proves that they exist all around us. They are just hard to find on occasion.

You apparently have the patience of Job because in my neighborhood most of the folks are considerate but there are exceptions. Most folks have parties but usually the loud ones are rare occurrences and those are tolerable on a seldom occurring basis. The dog issue is another story. My neighbor had one that would go off at all times of day and night. It went on for a while, so I stopped a couple of times to ask for some relief but nothing happened. So I talked to the township. They said "No Problem" just call 911 when it happens and the County Sheriff would be happy to intervene. I said that seemed a little overkill and they said it was the only way to quickly stop the problem. The progression is: warning, $75, $250, take dog.

Wrote the neighbor a very professional letter about my findings and problem solved. Sometimes you need to be "Sweet Ol Bob" to cure the problem.

I still plow their drive way when the other neighbor is not around and they are ok. In these cases I'd rather be "expected to take action" than loved.

Bob

Comment

Good story man. Sucks about the neighbors though. Is it possible to get out of there? I know my old lady and I would be hot to get out of there.
                    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Well, I feel I have to chime in here too... I won't drop names as I don't know if the other people would want me to, but I must say... YES, absolutely, there are some very great and generous people I have met on the forums. My goal is to pay it forward AND make sure I meet these people face to face someday, as soon as I can. Joining the SDC and being on the forums is one of the best things I could have done for my new hobby! It is a year in, this month that I got my 40 commander sedan... it has been a hard road for me financially (as for us all I am sure), but due to the help and generosity of of the members, I have made many new friends. I hope that someday I can really pay it forward. I have enjoyed the email and telephone help and hope it continues... Like I said, I can only hope to meet you guys and start getting to meets. I am still hesitant to go because I don't have a working car yet to contribute. I know I don't need one to go to an event, but it is just me. I hope to see you guys all really soon!
                      Last edited by new2drive; 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by new2drive View Post
                        Well, I feel I have to chime in here too... I won't drop names as I don't know if the other people would want me to, but I must say... YES, absolutely, there are some very great and generous people I have met on the forums. !
                        N2D I would not normally name drop, but Bob offered the motor to me in a public forum so I thought I would thatnk him in public forum and relay a story some might enjoy. I agree not everyone would neccesarily like it discussed openly that they are so helpful, and I would encourage all not to be begging for freebies, but Bob is a great guy and I think he deserves some props.
                        I too hope to be able to pay it forward so to speak. I try to on other forums like motorcycle forums which I am much more knowledgable about. I am trying to learn my Stude trivia and specifics so some day I will be that sharp old guy helping others out....not there yet.

Comment

Yep. Biggs is one of our pillars in the Club, and has been here from the beginning. Good luck with your project!
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Dang it Kelly, you're gonna spoil the reputation I've tried SO HARD to establish thru the years. (Just kidding!) Every now and then I hafta do my best to cancel out all the badness that lesser Bob's (thankfully, a minor minority) perpetrate on the world. I do it for my own satisfaction as well as to honor the Bob I'm actually a junior to. Bobs are like apples (that's why we "bob" for apples BTW) in that every now and then you get a wormy one. Bobs honorably share their monikers with cats, Whites, aloos, and bins - among other important things. I'm forever grateful my dad didn't name me Bill - NObody likes Bills! ..................... wait a minute, there ARE those ones with dead presidents on 'em.

No, Kelly's a fine upstanding gent that some little voice told me would find inspiration on the path to Studebakerdom if I chipped in with a little push. AND Kelly overlooked a small detail regarding our "deal" - that is that he actually traded me a Belvedere for that motor. Matter of fact, I took that baby for a test drive after dinner last night. Nice! Best Belvedere I've had since the '59 4-door I drove in the early seventies. 80 octane with a can of STP mixer and that thing makes you think rocks are your friends. I let that beauty eased on down some blissful byway until we hit empty. I thought about refillin' it, but I was still coherent enough to know I'd wanna be able to find my way to the bed later. I'll go for another "spin" tonight. <wink, wink>
                            Did I get the better of the deal? I don't think I'm qualified to judge. If it helps put another Stude on the road - if it helps perpetuate the unmistakeable note of a Stude V8 just a bit into the future, I'm gonna be well compensated. I got to know Kelly a bit, an' that's a plus in itself.
                            Of course, it COULD go the other way eventually - when Kelly's weighing the cost of putting dinner on the table vs buying the bling to doll up his 5th Studebaker. I can envision him grumbling thru clenched teeth: "That damned roscomacaw! This craziness is ALL his fault!"
                            Last edited by Roscomacaw; 10-18-2011, 03:46 PM. Reason: typo
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here's Kelly with his cast iron score as well as the Belevdere he honored me with.
                              Attached Files
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X