Got this off the Truck page ,Ethanol and your vintage cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got this off the Truck page ,Ethanol and your vintage cars

The Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) represents more than 350,000 members, making it the world's largest classic vehicle owners' organization. The HVA is committed to celebrating and advancing our automotive heritage and its place in American culture. Visit our website: www.historicvehicle.org
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

On the other hand, my Studes have operated on 10% ethanol for many years with no such problems. Your results may vary.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Alcohol can be hard on rubber parts for sure, but the only problem is when they sit. Dont let your car or bike sit and you wont have a problem. Look at all of the parts that guy is showing in the video, NONE of it is in good shape. NONE of it has been maintained at all. All of the junk yard rubber parts I have found look like that even before E85 or other high alcohol fuel.

This video comes up on every site I am on. Motorcycle sites and car sites and it is mostly mass hysteria. ANY modern fuel line and carb kit has rubber that will hold up to alcohol.

Comment

In our area ,we have had regular gas hose go to pieces in about a year with ethanol in the fuel. I asked gates rubber co. about the problem . They say use the fuel injection hi pressure fuel line and it will not deteriorate with ethanol. The man who had the original problem is a home streetrod builder and had the car on the road right at a year and at nsra nationals broke down in traffic and found his carb and lines full of pieces of rubber. replaced lines with fuel injection hi pressure rubber tubing and cured the problem.
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I drive my Studebaker often on the streets, I've lost a fuel pump,gotten pin holes in the fuel tank, and now suspect the carb floats are sinking. Dies sometimes after a hard stop.
          Replaced the fuel tank, added 3/8 steel fuel line from front to rear had a $45 Fuel hose made at the rear. (Aircraft type) Going to an edelbrock (500cfm) carb soon.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Last time I bought Stabil I opted for the Marine version. It is twice as expensive as the original, but you use half as much too. The selling point which may or may not mean anything is their claim on the bottle that it helps battle the ethanol problem protecting fuel tanks, lines, pumps, carburetors, etc.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Ethanol is what killed my dad's jetski. Yes, it sat as all jet skis do, but gunk plugged the passageways in the carb and didn't let oil into the engine. The engine was only 2 years old too. Ethanol has also caused a vacuum line on my Range Rover to melt and become tar-like goo.
              Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
              Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
              Lizella, GA

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
                Ethanol is what killed my dad's jetski. Yes, it sat as all jet skis do, but gunk plugged the passageways in the carb and didn't let oil into the engine. The engine was only 2 years old too. Ethanol has also caused a vacuum line on my Range Rover to melt and become tar-like goo.
                I have had to replace the fuel lines and clean the carburetors on most of my small engined equipment- same problem. I have also replaced most, but not all, soft lines on my cars with ethanol resistant hoses.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                X