Hawk Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Weight

Does anyone know the gross weight of a 1962 GT Hawk with 289 & 4-speed.[?] Thanks, Hawkman61

IF you don't mind a guess I'd say 3350 lbs plus or minus 70 lbs. Years and years and years ago I had my '54 Loewy coupe weighed (flat head and overdrive). It came in at 3050 lbs. If by gross you mean with a full tank of gas it will be over 3350 lbs by the weight of a tank of.....

wagone and R2 Avanti

Comment

A 63 Stude brochure lists the Hawk shipping weight as 3285 pounds with the 289 engine.
      The 1950 Champion Starlight
      Santa Barbara
      CA

Comment

Motor Trend tested an R2 Auto Hawk in their June '63 issue. Curb weight is reported as 3780 pounds.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

That's probably quite accurate for a fully topped-off fluids, ready to drive Hawk, but for a std 289 you would have to shave off well over 200 LBS. because it was probably a Super Hawk with a Paxton w/brackets, traction bars, rear stabilizer, Tach., seat belts and don't don't forget those 3 heavy R2 badges! [:0] [][^]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Motor Trend tested an R2 Auto Hawk in their June '63 issue. Curb weight is reported as 3780 pounds.
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A 1962 Hawk with 289 is 3230 pounds, plus about another 100 pounds for the 4 speed, plus other things like radio, heater, etc. I guess that the 50 pound increase to a 1963 Hawk is primarily in the front side grilles.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

A 1962 Hawk with 289 is 3230 pounds, plus about another 100 pounds for the 4 speed, plus other things like radio, heater, etc. I guess that the 50 pound increase to a 1963 Hawk is primarily in the front side grilles.
              That may be a number published by Studebaker, but I think it's bogus in reality. I weighed my '54 Starliner. The '54 Starliners are probably similar in weight to a '62 Hawk...maybe lighter if anything due to the frame gauge, etc.

My car weighed 3253 with about 10 gallons of gas. With a full tank that would be about 3290.

Mine has a Chevy V8...about 200 pounds lighter than a Stude V8. In addition, it has an aluminum case T10, aluminum intake, aluminum bell housing, aluminum wheels, no climatizer, aluminum alternator, tubular headers, space saver spare, no AC, no power steering, no power windows...about as stripped as you can get. My guess is that a 54 Starliner STOCK weighed well in excess of 3500 pounds...probably pushing 3700 pounds if you add that cast iron automatic, climatizer, and a few other options.

A lot of big truck stops have scales. Put that Hawk on a scale, Hawkman61. It would be interesting to know the ACTUAL weight.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary
                I guess that the 50 pound increase to a 1963 Hawk is primarily in the front side grilles.
                The side grills on a 63 Hawk are zinc diecast. They weigh about 6 pounds each. If you compare them with a '62 the difference is negligible.

It would be great if somebody brought some race car type scales to an international meet...the type that has a pad for each of the 4 wheels. I'll bet a lot of folks would pay to have their Stude weighed. ACTUAL total weights of each car as well as front/rear distribution, along with an equipment list and amount of fuel could be published. I'll bet the actual numbers are quite different than what Studebaker had in their literature.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Years ago I ran my Hawk across some grain scales and if memory serves me correctly, it weighed 3260 (scales are calibrated to +/- 10 pounds). This seems in line with Dick's Starliner when you consider I had the 6 cylinder in it while I worked on the V-8. That was pretty much bare car, no power steering, AC, or power brakes and I don't know how much gas was in the tank. This weight was also with the 6 cylinder rear axle which is considerably lighter than the orginal V8. So if any of you guys know how much more the V8 engine and axle weighs than the 6 cylinder, that should give you a pretty good idea of the "live" weight.

Comment

1. Published Studebaker shipping weights I have seen are always lighter than curb weight I have verified.
                    2.The four-speed is actually lighter than the three-speed with overdrive.
                    3. A stripper 6-cyl OD C-body is 300-600# lighter than a loaded GT.
                    4. V8, supercharger, power steering, power brakes, A/C, automatic transmission and the GT hardtop are the actual weight-adding variables.
                    5. The 2-bbl 259" V8 standard shift weighs 695# ready to run. The 1957 GH supercharged 289" is 715#, the same as the unfairly maligned '56J GH 352" Packard V8.

thnx, jack vines.

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

The shipping weight for a 1954 Commander Starliner is 3175 pounds, or 55 pounds less than a 1962 Hawk. Keep in mind that base weights do not even include common accessories like a Climatizer or a radio or any options like OD or AT. You are correct about the side grilles. They were the only thing that came to mind to account for the difference in weight from a '62 Hawk to a '63 Hawk. The upholstery got better, but I can't see much difference in weight. Where would the 50 pound increase from '62 to '63 come from?

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I wonder if "shipping weights" were purposely understated to save shipping costs?

I can't think of any big difference that would account for 50 pounds of weight across all three years of the GT Hawks. The climatizer was a little more intricate on the later ones, but not 50 pounds worth...and the climatizer was optional.

Again, I don't have much faith in the weights published by Studebaker. They seem to be low at best and random at worst.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I used to work where they had a certified truck scale. It was interesting to see what the actual, as driven, weight was of different vehicles.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                          X