57 distributor questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 57 distributor questions

My 1955 Speedster Delco distributor rotor has been hitting the contacts in the caps. Enough to put grooves in them. I replaced the recently installed cap and rotor and had the same results again. So assuming the distributor was worn out, I purchased a used Delco 1110864 1957 distributor to replace it. I just finished cleaning it up and decided to put one of the previously used rotors on it. That rotor and the other one I have both fit very loosely. They can be moved side to side and up and down when installed on both distributors. Is this normal or are they the wrong rotors? I thought these should fit tightly.
    If anyone has the part numbers from NAPA for the cap and rotor I would appreciate having them so I can get the correct parts.
    One other concern. As I was nearly done putting the distributor back together again I noticed that about 1/5 of the top of one gear tooth has been chipped off. Do I dare use it?

The current parts are from CarQuest. Cap is #51-1608 Rotor #51-5783
    Last edited by 5brown1; 10-16-2011, 12:26 PM. Reason: Note Delco

Is the Tachometer sending unit in place? If so, the bottom of the spindle should fit tightly over the distributor cam post. Also, the rotor should fit snugly to the sending unit. The spring clips holding the whole mess together should be very hard to snap into place (tight). Any Delco distributor from late 51-59 or so will work, but the advance springs and vacuum advance should be transfered from the old one.
    If you have a later model Prestolite distributor in it, then check that the rotor has the spring steel insert and it too fits snugly on the cam post.
    I don't think that Delco units had the steel insert, just a tooth where it fits into a notch on the cam post.
    Perhaps rotors are different for GM cars? I know the one on our Packard Hawk had a carbon resistor in the rotor.
    Of course, the top shaft bushings could be worn on either.
    I have seen the cap not fitting evenly or squarely on the housing due to dirt or too much paint build up.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 10-16-2011, 10:32 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

All '51 to '59 and '60 Hawk early Delco Distributors 6V & 12V, are basically the same and use the same Rotor with the carbon resister rod connecting the Cap Coil Contact clip to the Spark Plug contact brass "strap" that contacts the Cap Sp/Plug buttons.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had a same problem on my 57 Clipper when I took it apart when I first bought it. I checked the shaft movement in the housing after a lot of detective work found out that the new rotors I had were all loose on the shaft. Try putting a small piece of paper between shaft and rotor for a check. We found that most of the old rotors we had were a tight fit the NEW ones had a loose fit. Did find a few that were a snug fit like the older used ones we had. A lot of the new parts out there now are not made to very high quality standards .

Comment

Yes, (some of?) the new Delco Rotors leave a lot to be desired.

This a NOS part worth looking for.

Also, before putting one in service consider a dab of glue or other stickum on top of the carbon rod just to be sure it stays in place.

Comment

Working...
          X