Wanting to swap out Dana 27 with a Dana 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Wanting to swap out Dana 27 with a Dana 44

I have a 6 cylinder 1954 coupe. Taking out the motor and trans and the Dana 27. All have been recently redone and are in excellent condition and are for sale.

Want some information on what is available in a Dana 44. One that fits with little alteration. Want to keep the hub to hub the same... 58 1/2. I know Jeeps use the 44. If the hub to hub is the same it should fit right up ? If anyone has one, or knows of a good one let me know. If there are any suggestions on where to go to find one, please advise, would be appreciated. Was told I should replace or find a 44 wih flanged axles for my application....using an LS1. Any comments are welcome.

Attached photo of motor and picture of the rear end for sale
    Attached Files

Mike,

Any Studebaker car Dana 44 will bolt in and have the same hub-to-hub dimension. If you want flanged axles, look for a '65 (switch was sometime in '65) or a '66 Stude rear axle. Another option would be to use any Studebaker car Dana 44, and get the flanged axle conversion kit from Fairborn Studebaker (http://www.fairbornstudebaker.com/).
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The problem with most Jeep dana 44's is they have a 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern.
      1958 Transtar 3E6-122
      1958 Transtar 3E13-31
      1959 Transtar 4E7-122
      1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
      1960 Transtar 5E28-171
      1960 Lark Gasser
      1963 Daytona

Comment

Am going to call Fairborn today about the flanged axles. Also calling mosher, who is big in the axle business. Having different bolt patterns matters not for I will be purchasing Zenith wire wheels with the multi bolt pattern. Found a rear axle complete with 354 gears and drum brakes from Dwayne Jacobsen in Minnesota. Hopefully things will come together and all will work out. I have 2-56J's and the 54 Champion in the shop being torn down and restored this winter. Each will be fitted with an all aluminum GM LS motors and Dana 44's with flanged axles. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Mike, the flanged axles that Fairborn sells are Moser. He probably had Moser manufacture them for him and therefore Fairborn may be the only vendor that has them.
          Originally posted by mike super View Post
          Am going to call Fairborn today about the flanged axles. Also calling mosher, who is big in the axle business. Having different bolt patterns matters not for I will be purchasing Zenith wire wheels with the multi bolt pattern. Found a rear axle complete with 354 gears and drum brakes from Dwayne Jacobsen in Minnesota. Hopefully things will come together and all will work out. I have 2-56J's and the 54 Champion in the shop being torn down and restored this winter. Each will be fitted with an all aluminum GM LS motors and Dana 44's with flanged axles. Thanks for the help.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

There's a 1/4" difference in tube dia. between the 27 & 44. Be sure to get the U-bolts and spring plates for the 44 axle.

Comment

studebaker vendor on the west coast sells an axle kit also. Problem is that it doens't fit without correctly. The bearing retainer ring has to be narrowed by .125 (the retainer bottoms out on the inner seal, then the axle is wedged tight,resulting in a damaged seal).kit doesn't come with inner seals, and I didn't care for the drum centering method. The drum centering on this particular kit used 3 split sleeves that fit over 3 of the wheel studs. I've installed the Fairborn kit and IMHO its a better kit.
              Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
              Mike, the flanged axles that Fairborn sells are Moser. He probably had Moser manufacture them for him and therefore Fairborn may be the only vendor that has them.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

you'll need a different length driveshaft too.....probably need to cut yours.....BTW-what's wrong with your 27 ? That little 6 will never wear it out....

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
                  I have a 6 cylinder 1954 coupe. Taking out the motor and trans and the Dana 27. All have been recently redone and are in excellent condition and are for sale.

Want some information on what is available in a Dana 44. One that fits with little alteration. Want to keep the hub to hub the same... 58 1/2. I know Jeeps use the 44. If the hub to hub is the same it should fit right up ? If anyone has one, or knows of a good one let me know. If there are any suggestions on where to go to find one, please advise, would be appreciated. Was told I should replace or find a 44 wih flanged axles for my application....using an LS1. Any comments are welcome.

Attached photo of motor and picture of the rear end for sale
                  Originally posted by jackb View Post
                  you'll need a different length driveshaft too.....probably need to cut yours.....BTW-what's wrong with your 27 ? That little 6 will never wear it out....
                  That's why.

LSx motors are extremely potent.
                  --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

jackb.....the 6 cylinder has been totally redone as has the trans. The 27 is fine but not big enough for the LS1 I am putting in. The 6 does not have enough gitty up and go. I have a couple 56J drivers, one stick and one automatic with 352's and I am spoiled with the power they have. I am updating two other 56J's and the 54 with LS1's this winter...they will also last forever.

The comment on the California outfit selling flanged axles is very interesting. Just hate when something is sold in the market and it does not work. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Mike, why are you set on staying with the original width Dana 44 rear axle. Unless you have special wheels made with a 5 or 6 inch back spacing (like I made for the back of Rustobaker) you are going to be really limited on the size tires you can run on the back. With the LS1 you're gonna need all the rubber grabbing the road you can get.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

oh....missed that important point

Comment

Working...
                        X