PDA

View Full Version : Frame/Springs Engine swap in a 1946

raidmagic
10-15-2011, 08:52 PM
I've searched some but I guess I'm not using the right key words. Anyone here swap a V-8 into a 1946 or older Champion?
I am starting my project with my car and am planning a V-8 swap but I am not liking the stock suspension for this swap. First it needs to be completely rebuilt but I still am not sure that if it were all new it would be the best choice to handle a V-8.
Anyone do this? What did you do for suspension. Any tips or tricks you can offer would be great.

Also I'm selling the stock engine and trans with the suspension if anyone is interested. Thanks

41 Frank
10-15-2011, 09:38 PM
I put a Studebaker V-8 in my 41 Champion. I discarded the whole front suspension and brakes and welded in a streetrod Mustang II front crossmember with power rack and pinion, 11" disc brakes and an Ididit column. I used a house brand hub to hub setup from Speedway Motors. Used a 35 Chevy standard streetrod cross member which came within a 1/4 " of fitting up to the frame on each side,just had to grind a little material off of it to get it to fit. I talked to one of their engineers,gave him my frame dimensions and he fixed me up. Helped that I only live 50 miles from them. I understand Fatman makes a front clip for Studebakers but have no further info on their stuff.

raidmagic
10-16-2011, 09:35 AM
IF you put a complete mustang II crossmember in there what was teh 35 Chevy crossmember used for? Do you have any pics? Thanks for the input

41 Frank
10-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Sorry if my explanation was confusing. The aftermarket Mustang II crossmember was for a 35 Chevy application. Mustang II refers to the type of suspension used. It is actually derived from the Mustang II design but in reality has little connection with a Mustang II as a streetrod application. Send me your e-mail addy by private message and I'll look for and send you some pictures later today,too much going on right now.

IF you put a complete mustang II crossmember in there what was teh 35 Chevy crossmember used for? Do you have any pics? Thanks for the input

nvonada
10-17-2011, 07:05 AM
A guy who lives near me put a Chrysler 440 in his 41 Champion. There is plenty of room for it. I think he is running a Mopar TorqueFlight transmission and some kind of limited-slip Ford rear. I am not sure what he did to the suspension. I was more interested in scoring the parts he took off...

raidmagic
10-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Got your e-mail Frank, thanks. I'm not going to have a space issue...I don't think...for the engine but that suspension isn't going to cut it. I'll be setting the motor in the frame this weekend just to see what I'm looking at. I've had this car for over a year but haven't been able to work on it yet so I'm pretty excited to see something going on with it.

41 Frank
10-17-2011, 09:14 PM
I did have to recess the firewall on my 41 Champion about 6" to have enough room for the Studebaker V-8 without moving the radiator forward, which is not something I thought would work.

raidmagic
10-22-2011, 02:37 PM
I did have to recess the firewall on my 41 Champion about 6" to have enough room for the Studebaker V-8 without moving the radiator forward, which is not something I thought would work.

Thanks for that info. I haven't set the motor in it yet I got side tracked with another car, hopefully I can do something with it this weekend.

41 Frank
10-22-2011, 03:00 PM
You will find that the V-8 you would think should be shorter than the flathead six that came out, is in fact longer. I used an Ace Hardware wheel barrow for my firewall recess and trimmed it as needed.

52hawk
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Wheel barrow for a firewall!!! Cool idea! Don't the handles scrape on the ground though?

41 Frank
10-22-2011, 05:34 PM
The wheel can be a problem too. (LOL) Seriously though it really makes for a nicely shaped recessed firewall. An old street rodder turned me onto the idea. What am I saying! I am one of them now too.