PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Optional R3 Parts

Mike
10-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Is there a list of the optional R3 parts beyond what's in the Dec '63 Avanti parts book; or pehaps a factory drawing? I'm interested in things like the fluid reservoir for the supercharger. There was also an electric fuel pump and pressure regulator.
Mike

jlmccuan
10-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Where did you hear of these items?

Mike
10-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Recently, someone on one of the Stude newsgroups I frequent mentioned a list of R3 options that included the reservoir. I'm not sure where that was...
The electric fuel pump is mentioned in an old "Hot Rod" article along with some other goodies, like a supercharger held together with studs and nuts. I think the reservoir and fuel presure regulator were on the Egbert Avanti. I've seen pictures of the regulator on R3's at Bonneville. It's the Paxton regulator, maybe modified. There is a special bracket.
Mike

jlmccuan
10-16-2011, 12:28 AM
The Bonneville cars did have reservoirs for the superchargers, but they also had some internal changes to the superchargers to pump the fluid out to the reservoir and back into the supercharger body. The extra capacity acted as a heat sink keeping the intake charge cooler. I don't believe these were ever offered as options for R3 cars by Studebaker. There was also a fluid cooler setup that used an electric pump and a small heat exchanger pulling fluid out and returning it through the dipstick offered by Paxton.

Are you looking for factory options, or hop-up aftermarket items?

Mike
10-16-2011, 05:36 AM
The parts I'm interested in must have been official Stude options as they were used on the "stock" speed record Avanti's. The remotely adjustable carb might be on this list, too.
The "list" may have been made just to assign factory part #'s to special parts used on the speed record cars.
Mike

bezhawk
10-16-2011, 03:06 PM
The parts I'm interested in must have been official Stude options as they were used on the "stock" speed record Avanti's.

The remotely adjustable carb might be on this list, too.
The "list" may have been made just to assign factory part #'s to special parts used on the speed record cars.
Mike
Under hood dwarfs???

Mike
10-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Under hood dwarfs???

That might have been simpler. There are a few pictures of the "Carbumeter" from Egbert's Avanti, along with the reservoir, at Bob Johnstone's site.
Mike

R2Andrea
10-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Of all the special parts which showed up on the Bonneville R3 cars, the only one which showed up in the Engineering Parts List is the fuel pump. It appears in the '63R-Q list as "Aux. Fuel Pump Assy.-Spec. Orders (Elect.)". My copy of the '64R-Q book is currently MIA, but I don't recall any additional parts being listed. It should be noted that while the electric fuel pump was listed in the Parts List, none of the related parts were. Things like the mounting bracket, fuel lines, pressure regulator, wiring harness and even the adaptation drawing don't show up. The Carb U Meter and supercharger cooling setup don't either, nor does an altered supercharger which would have the internal changes required to use the cooler. Also, altho the Bonneville R3 Larks (and possibly the Hawk) had the auxillary electric pump, it does not show up in either the 1964 Lark/Hawk Parts List at all. My collection of Sales Letters is incomplete so it's possible that there may be mention of some of these parts there. Paxton wasn't beyond fudging some other non stock details on the B'ville cars- the air intake system used on the Larks didn't conform to the setup released for production and used on the lone production R3 Commander.

R2Andrea
10-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Recently, someone on one of the Stude newsgroups I frequent mentioned a list of R3 options that included the reservoir. I'm not sure where that was...
The electric fuel pump is mentioned in an old "Hot Rod" article along with some other goodies, like a supercharger held together with studs and nuts. I think the reservoir and fuel presure regulator were on the Egbert Avanti. I've seen pictures of the regulator on R3's at Bonneville. It's the Paxton regulator, maybe modified. There is a special bracket.
Mike

The thread you are refering to may be this one. Starting w post 67. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?54928-The-street-legal-Plain-Brown-Wrapper..../page2

Mike
10-16-2011, 06:53 PM
That was it, Andy. Thanks.
The Egbert Avanti pictures are @:
http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1/R4000/63R4130/63R4130.html .

jlmccuan
10-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Lots of items on the Bonneville cars were never offered for production including the larger fuel tanks, oil supercharger fluid tanks, the removed x bracing on the convertible, the different fuel system venting, the depressed upper A arm mounts, and so on. Not saying you can't duplicate them, but you won't find part numbers to order them by, even if someone had them and knew what they were.

64Avanti
11-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Lots of items on the Bonneville cars were never offered for production including the larger fuel tanks, oil supercharger fluid tanks, the removed x bracing on the convertible, the different fuel system venting, the depressed upper A arm mounts, and so on. Not saying you can't duplicate them, but you won't find part numbers to order them by, even if someone had them and knew what they were.

Jim,
The lowered upper A-arm mounting is defined by a drawing and part numbers. There were new spindles and lower knuckle that went with this and there were drawings. All of this was aimed at increasing the camber change due to body roll and thereby keep the outer wheel more upright in a turn to improve handling.

By the way I have the parts to build one of the larger fuel tanks for a Hawk.

R2Andrea
11-06-2011, 12:38 AM
As a follow up to post #8 I went back and did some checking. The 63R Parts List is the most recent one ( there is no 64R Parts List) and was the one updated with the "'64" parts. It's my copy of the 62R Parts List that's MIA. I do have a list of part numbers which were issued by engineering which never made it to the Parts List. Included are the other parts related to the auxillary fuel pump setup.

DEEPNHOCK
11-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Question for the Avanti crowd.....

I have seen R3 air bonnets in raw finish, polished finish, and a crinkled black finish.

What is the 'correct' finish for an R3 bonnet, as it came from the factory?
Jeff:cool:

Mike
11-06-2011, 08:06 AM
As a follow up to post #8 I went back and did some checking. The 63R Parts List is the most recent one ( there is no 64R Parts List) and was the one updated with the "'64" parts. It's my copy of the 62R Parts List that's MIA. I do have a list of part numbers which were issued by engineering which never made it to the Parts List. Included are the other parts related to the auxillary fuel pump setup.

By "63R Parts List", do you mean the Dec, '63 Avanti Parts Catalog, with the black cover? Does the aux electric fuel pump, 1560608, appear in there somewhere? I can't find it.
How long is the list of part #'s from engineering? Is there any chance that there are drawings associated with the #'s that have more information? I'm interested in modifications to the fuel pressure regulator. Also what type mechanical pump was used with the electric.
Mike

bezhawk
11-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Question for the Avanti crowd.....

I have seen R3 air bonnets in raw finish, polished finish, and a crinkled black finish.

What is the 'correct' finish for an R3 bonnet, as it came from the factory?
Jeff:cool:

Natural finish(unpolished) . I polished B61's for a little extra bling.

R2Andrea
11-06-2011, 02:59 PM
The "production" finish for the air box is raw cast aluminum. The Parts Catalog is the parts manual published by the corporation for use by the Parts & Accessories Div., Dealerships, owners etc. It's the black w gold book dated Dec. 1963 or the earlier version with the red white and blue cover. The 63R Parts List was prepared and used by Engineering - strictly an "in house" deal. The Parts List contains all the parts in the Parts Catalog. And lots of parts that don't. The Auxilliary pump fed the standard mechanical pump. Only the engines with the aux pump had the regulator (the Bonneville R3 cars).

jlmccuan
11-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Yes, David you are correct on the parts for the upper inners and upper A-Arms, but I was referring to 2 of the Bonneville cars I've gotten to get some good time with and in addition to what made production, the upper inner pivots were depressed below the top of the frame. This never made it to production. Somewhere around here I have some docs describing some of the front suspension geometry travel problems they ran into with full suspension movement needed for "street" cars and thus the decision to not include all of the prototype design changes.

I'd love to use actual Stude parts for my tank, even if C/CPS rules make me use a fuel cell. That would be a wonderful historic touch. I'd planned to fab up a duplicate setup with the tank vents in the wheelwells.

I'd also like a gander at the spindle drawings. Do you think there is any way to safely modify existing units? Probably best to go billet, I'm guessing.

Also, a public thanks for the other drawings and specs and welcome back from Korea. I assume you were safely able to avoid getting near the Northern border, lol.

64Avanti
11-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Jim,
I did not mean the use of the old A-Arms and inner pivots with the steel busingings. The modification parts to drop the A-Arm on the frame have part numbers.

I would be interested in the "problems" that are documented. I drove the R3 Daytona convertable quite a few times that had the modified suspension and didn't notice any problems with it. I will give you a call tomorrow.

bezhawk
11-08-2011, 07:29 AM
I can't find the pics, but the LOWER outer trunion was also modified for the Bonneville cars. They had a taller offset.

64Avanti
11-10-2011, 12:58 AM
What you call a trunion is what I called a knuckle. I forgot to mention that the king pins were also different.