Radioluminescent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Radioluminescent

I recently pulled all the gauges in my 52 Champion. I was going to replace or repaint them since they were doggy looking. I ended up using 409 and paper towels and they really cleaned up. The luminescence returned at night and the paint didn't come off with the 409. They look like new again. I did find luminescent paint at National Parts Depot. I ordered some but it was not as good at glowing as the original gauges.
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
      I recently pulled all the gauges in my 52 Champion. I was going to replace or repaint them since they were doggy looking. I ended up using 409 and paper towels and they really cleaned up. The luminescence returned at night and the paint didn't come off with the 409. They look like new again. I did find luminescent paint at National Parts Depot. I ordered some but it was not as good at glowing as the original gauges.
      I do believe the original paint was radioactive and that glow just can't be duplicated with safer paints.

Joe
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

Here's an interesting read on radium as used in watch dials and gauges....

http://elginwatches.org/help/luminous_dials.html

http://www.roger-russell.com/jeffers/radiumdials.htm

Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've got a couple of M truck gauge clusters, but no Geiger counter. The inside of the cluster housing and the speedometer housing are painted with the light blue-green paint. I turned off all the lights, didn't see any glow. Is 60 years too long for it to keep working [if it ever glowed]? I'm not sure that it was supposed to glow, as much as to slightly alter the color of the light from the bulbs by reflecting mostly blue and green. The original plastic shields around the light bulbs also had a blue-green tint.

I'll stick with the Studebaker corporate mentality: why would they spend an extra penny per car/truck on radium paint if they didn't have to? I've been painting the insides of the housings off-white and putting slightly-diffuse clear (uncolored) Mylar rolled into a tube over the bulbs. It's hard enough to read the M truck gauges at night, even with the lamps turned to full brightness.

If you want to make the housing have a little glow, stimulated by the light bulbs, take a look at the Ultra Blue paint (water- or solvent-based versions) here:
          Shop premium glow in the dark powder & glow in the dark paint from Techno Glow. A one stop shop for all your glow in the dark and UV black light products.

A 1/2 ounce bottle will be more than enough to paint the gauge and speedometer housings.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Had an M5 35/40 years ago and don't think the guages 'glowed in the dark' as they did on a lot of the passenger cars. The 50 to 52 cars come to mind that did.

Comment

Well Gary, if you say the gauges are difficult to see at night then it may be beneficial to use the glow-in-the-dark paint. I agree that the Blue on the page you provided is probably the closest to the original. Since I have never seen the cluster lit up at night I have no basis to compare if I go ahead with the luminescent paint. I will keep you all informed how it turns out. Thanks. Neal

Comment

Working...
              X