parking brake cable boot NLA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: parking brake cable boot NLA?

I am looking for a pair of parking brake cable boots for a 53 Commander. The part circled in RED in this picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	512660.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1734182

Per the thread shown here, the part number is 512660 and it seems they are not available:

I don't see them in SI 2010. Does anyone know of a decent substitute?
    Last edited by 53hardtop; 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM.
    Rob in ND
    \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Originally posted by 53hardtop View Post
    I am looking for a pair of parking brake cable boots for a 53 Commander. The part circled in RED in this picture.
    URL] Per the thread shown here, the part number is 512660 and it seems they are not available:
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=512660 I don't see them in SI 2010. Does anyone know of a decent substitute?
    Question: Even ...IF ...a "new boot" were available, how would one go about installing it

Comment

The boot was put on when the cable assy was manufactured and is not a separately replaceable item. A new cable assy is the only solution in my opinion.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Good point. I wondered if with the proper lubricant and enough patience it could be worked on from the brake end (since I have this all disassembled right now). The brake cable looks really good otherwise, but age has taken a toll on the rubber boots. I will probably go without for now. Even if they were available and I could work one on over all the other hardware, it would probably be beat to pieces by the time I got it in place.
        Rob in ND
        \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

Have not tried this on a brake cable BUT have use 3 to 1 shrink wrap (the electrical type) to replace other boot-like seals. The 3 to 1 shrinks (w/ heat) to one-third its original diameter. A bit pricey and available only at specialized electronics stores but great for all sorts of applications, in addition to electrical.
          PaulTK

Comment

Working...
          X