No announcement yet.

Sudden battery death: potential causes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Sudden battery death: potential causes?

The 6 volt battery on my Champion died suddenly a couple weeks ago. It is about a year and a half old. I drove the car all summer with no problems. Drove the car to my storage garage, where it sat for about ten days. I went to get it out of storage and the battery was dead. Not only that, it won't take a charge at all. Its stone cold dead. I have a battery cutoff switch that I use to isolate the battery when I store the car. It was switched to "off" so there shouldn't have been any load to drain the battery, like lights left on, etc. I also checked the water level in the cells and none were low. It isn't a brand name battery, I bought it at the local farm store, but it still wasn't cheap. I've had batteries that won't hold a charge, and I've had batteries freeze and die, but I don't have a clue why this one went bad so suddenly. Does anyone have any recommendations for things that I should check? I realize that batteries die, I just hope the car isn't killing them. Thanks for any ideas.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Take it back John,it should have some warranty left on it. If it won't take a charge they about have to give you a new one and prorate the cost as to time used versus warranty implied. Once in a while batteries go bad prematurely.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Invest in a small trickle charger. I like the battery tender brand. They will increase the life of seldom used batteries. Keep the trickle charger on the battery at all times (unless driving of course).
      Russ
      Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
      Take it back John,it should have some warranty left on it. If it won't take a charge they about have to give you a new one and prorate the cost as to time used versus warranty implied. Once in a while batteries go bad prematurely.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

After replacing 6 volt batteries every couple of years I went to an Optima, it's going on 5 years now, no trickle charger, starts the car every time. Six volt batteries are not built to last any more than about 2 years. This from a FLAPS worker.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          Six volt batteries are not built to last any more than about 2 years. This from a FLAPS worker.
          Agree completely. Just part of the fun
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks, guys. I do appreciate the advice. I will take it back to the store where I bought it and hope to get some credit. Since I will use the car very little over the winter, do I need to keep a charger on it all the time? A battery won't freeze if it has a charge, will it? Would I be better off to keep the battery, unused, at home where it will be warm, until next spring?
            John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

John, if you don't have a battery maintainer then you should charge it a little from time to time. You could take it home or leave it in the car. I am a CASO so have battery maintainers on all my cars all winter, hate spending money on new batteries. I think keeping the charge maintained prolongs the life of a battery. A charged battery won't freeze.
              Originally posted by Lothar View Post
              Thanks, guys. I do appreciate the advice. I will take it back to the store where I bought it and hope to get some credit. Since I will use the car very little over the winter, do I need to keep a charger on it all the time? A battery won't freeze if it has a charge, will it? Would I be better off to keep the battery, unused, at home where it will be warm, until next spring?
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I agree...for the most part with Bob also...BUT...

The 6 volt Optima that came in my 54 wagon wouldn't hold a charge for nuthin. If I put a charge into it a maximum of every other week, but when I missed a week...it would take three days of charging to get any power back.
                Granted, this was the battery in the car when I bought it, and have no clue as to its history. When I bought the car, it came from about 40 miles away and the charging system was/is fine, so from the beginning, it had a good charge...

I then bought a standard 6 volt from some corner parts store...it wasn't much better, but this one was monthly if I didn't drive the car much. It never really had much power though. It would start the engine, but in a grunting fashion..!

NOW...I have a third battery...another (different from the first) corner parts store type.. It's a beast. It can sit for two months, I get in and it almost sounds like a 12 volt system. I don't know, it IS a 6 volt (not 8) battery, but it seems to have more power than either the Optima or the second one I tried. I try to either drive the car or keep it charged every 6 or 8 weeks (I have two cars and three motor cycles to choose from!). Don't want this one going bad on me for as much as I can do to prevent it going "south.."..!

Just the luck of the draw I guess.

Mike

Comment

I have had good luck with Interstate 6 volt batteries.

Comment

The standard Group 1 batteries don't seem to last too many years, I agree. I solved the problem on my '54 Starliner by buying a heavier-duty one. Just go to a good parts store or battery supplier and tell them you want a 6 volt battery that's Group 1 size but with more cranking amps. I don't have the data on mine right at hand, but it's got a very high cold cranking amp rating, and it's really for industiral equipment, like a bulldozer. It weighs a ton. I thought I'd have to put a heavier duty front spring on one side of the front of the car to make up for it (ha). The last one I bought lasted over 6 years and I really don't run the car as often as I should or put a bettery tender on it. Hope this helps.

Dave Bonn
                    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

I just had a battery fail completely, as in stone cold dead, as in I had to use jumper cables as well as a battery charger on "start" setting to get my pickup truck started. It was less than a year old. At least two coworkers have had the same thing happen with near-new company cars. I think that the battery mfgrs. are likely trying to make the plates too delicate in an attempt to increase surface area per unit weight and have gone too far, and stuff is breaking. I don't know about the other two, but mine was an Interstate brand battery bought new this spring which makes it even more disappointing as I thought that they were a good name brand.
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I bought a new 6V battery from NAPA when I first got my truck (2007). I keep a Battery Tender on it and it still starts like it was brand new. I used to go through batteries every year or two in my BMW motorcycle until I started using a Battery Tender on it. When I sold the bike the battery was six years old and still strong.
                        Rick
                        Kingman, AZ

Comment

Working...
                        X