Any way to save these Studes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to save these Studes?

I have been by this place several times over the past yr or so and there is never anyone there. Now there is a For Sale sign, which is scary since you know what is going to happen to 6 acres of old Studes. No one answers the the phone posted at the web site or even on the For Sale sign. A cryin' shame...nice relatively rust-free Texas cars...
    1947 M5 under restoration
    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

The only way is to buy them or the property, but I fear it won't happen. Unfortunately most posts will be "Wrong Coast; No Money, I would if I could etc." Not being negative but that's what happens - folks talk but nobody offers to buy.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

How about Studebaker Museum? They could front the money and organization. The vehicles that can be saved could be put up on ebay or Craig's List and rest parted out. The Stude vendors could be involved in parting out.
      1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
      See rescue progress here on this blog:
      http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

As I remember, that is John Brooks place in Weathreford, Texas. John worked on my GT Hawk while it was owned by the second owner, something about service work and A/C. Anyway, John told me he owned the 1963 white GT that was used by Studebaker as a prototype for 1964 model and was used in publicity photos. Hope John and his wife are OK.
        Peter Bishop

Comment

There's a '57 Clipper wagon there that should be saved!
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Over 20 years ago I followed up on a tip about a bunch of Packards & Studes in the California desert. IOut in the middle of nowhere, I found a stash of about 50 Packards and one Stude, a 56J, minus engine and tranny. I liberated the 56J for $100 and trailered it home to 29 Palms, CA. It was as rustfree as they come, but had been hit in the front. I lost count of the money in parts of it used in restoration of a couple of other 56Js. I have no idea what happened to all those Packards, but the owner wanted to sell the land more than he cared about the cars.
            No telling what the story is on these Studes in TX.
            Joe

Comment

Click on Bird's eye view and zoom in (+) . There must be hundreds of cars there !!!

Map multiple locations, get transit/walking/driving directions, view live traffic conditions, plan trips, view satellite, aerial and street side imagery. Do more with Bing Maps.

Comment

Looks like an old wrecking yard. Lots of cars, street access, but looks like a new housing development is moving in.........hence the sale.

Mark

Comment

Ya, that bird's eye view is pretty impressive indeed, the place is loaded, ...and somebody smarter than I am needs to figure out how to save'em...last I knew they weren't makin' Studes any more...

Comment

Uh-oh. That aerial view doesn't look good at all. 'No way those hoity-toidy folks to the east in their new homes are gonna put up with that very long, 'sorry to say. They won't have to condemn the guy through zoning or re-use issues; the property is probably "worth" so much now that it will be willingly sold. Phooey. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Developer doesn't need the cars/junk... needs the land. Opportunity for a no cost/low cost/pay me deal with a potential land buyer.

Comment

I just sent an e-mail to the guy, I'll let you know if I receive a reply.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Cool, please do....

Comment

Perhaps someone in the area could call the local code enforcement dept. Many times they are out to rid properties of such so they may already have a case going. If one or a group came forward to "assist" them, perhaps they would be more co-operative with contact info, ect.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Access is almost the easy part...figuring out the resources to haul and store the cars is the real challenge. If it ever gets to the point of loading some of these cars on trailers I can be available to help load. You know they all will have 4 flats which will make it even more fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X