No announcement yet.

Replace the rear end with an S10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Replace the rear end with an S10?

I've heard that an S-10 rear end will bolt right in to most Studebakers. Is that true? Will it fit a 49 Champion business coupe? What other mods are necessary?

I'd like to get disk brakes all around for the lemons race, and this would be a good path. One of the drums is also jammed. Is there a trick to unjamming or disassembling it? It's the driver side rear that is locked up.

--buddy

Not a bolt in, but easy. It is not as wide, so you can use wider wheels and tires. Spring perches
    have to be moved. U-joint requires a special one. Here's one in my 53.

Last edited by Flashback; 10-11-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

The Ford Ranger rear end is a good fit, is available in the 8.8 ring gear (with or without limited slip), and has the same lug pattern as the Stude. Early models have a 10 inch drum, later models are disk. Also available in the 7.5 ring gear.

Comment

I just bought a 1948 Land Cruiser that the previous owner swapped in a 10 bolt GM rear from a S10. It was a bolt in fit. He said he didn't need to move the spring perches, and from the looks of the axle tubes they haven't been moved. He kept the original cantilever shocks, etc. Same springs and even the same centering bolt. This axle has drums that he just plumbed into the factory brake lines. The only issue is the different bolt pattern (5x4.75") and the fact that it is a little narrower. On heavy turns the tires will rub. I plan on fixing this with 5x4.75" to 5x5" adapters that will space it out 1.25" or so. This way I won't have to carry around 2 spares (shake my head). If you need any further details or want me to try and figure the serial and what it came off of, then let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by SiLiconD17 View Post
          I just bought a 1948 Land Cruiser that the previous owner swapped in a 10 bolt GM rear from a S10. It was a bolt in fit. He said he didn't need to move the spring perches, and from the looks of the axle tubes they haven't been moved. He kept the original cantilever shocks, etc. Same springs and even the same centering bolt. This axle has drums that he just plumbed into the factory brake lines. The only issue is the different bolt pattern (5x4.75") and the fact that it is a little narrower. On heavy turns the tires will rub. I plan on fixing this with 5x4.75" to 5x5" adapters that will space it out 1.25" or so. This way I won't have to carry around 2 spares (shake my head). If you need any further details or want me to try and figure the serial and what it came off of, then let me know.
          If land cruisers have 5 on 5" wheels and all you are concerned about is your spare. Carry a GM space saver! They are multi drilled with both 5 on 4 3/4" and 5 on 5" (car and truck patterns)
          But personally I throw chev rear ends in the land fill and replace them with either Ford 8" or 9" rears.
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
          X