X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission (FOM)

test

transmission (FOM)

I am just about done with my car, getting ready for South Bend. Problem with trans: the car drives fine, in all gears. Shifts smooth. No slipping. But fluid keeps coming out, in very irregular ways. First it puked out the filler tube. I have of course changed fluid/filter. I added Lucus transsfix. I can drive the car fine, but when I park it, fluid will come out in large amounts BUT NOT EVERYTIME! It is just not predictable. I check the level in DRIVE after proper warmup. The car has less than 60,000 miles, and drove fine when I parked it 35 years ago. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comment

There is a vent on the top on the transmission, probably passenger's side. It's covered with a loose fitting tin cap (sort of like a miniture version of the overflow protector on a dishwasher).

Any chance this is closed off? Maybe covered in grime? Maybe mashed if trans was ever removed and reinstalled?

Also, isn't Lucas transfix pretty thick stuff? Anybody have any opinion if it would cause/enhance burping?

Finally, and NON STUDE if I may... this Lucas stuff has been suggested for the trans in my tired but fully functional 180,000, 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager. Anyone have any experience/wisdom on this? Off line responses welcome.

Comment

I have used Lucas in my own vehicle(s) and in my customer's with generally positive results. If the the tranny is gone, its not a miracle, but if it is "weak" the Lucas can actually help you get by for awhile. In the case of a Studie, under limited use it may stave off a rebuild for several years.

55 Commander
        58 Transtar
        62 GT Hawk
        66 Cruiser

Comment

If your Flight-O-Matic is a late type '61-'66 that has the underhood fill and check tube, you (not likely, but) could have the wrong dipstick, causing overfill. [:0]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I like the clogged vent idea.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. It was the breather valve. Small item; big problem when not working properly!

Comment

Working...
              X