C-K fiberglass fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-K fiberglass fenders

Does anyone know the history of the fiberglass front C-K fenders? My father has a 54 with them. They're great, but we don't know what the story is behind them. Thanks.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

As recently as 2004 the entire C-K was available in fiberglas, any part or all, (except frame, engine, suspension, etc) from somewhere east of the Mississippi River. I don't know when they started, or if they are still available. Hope this helps. If nothing else, someone will correct me.

Comment

I have a 53 C/K trunk lid. If someone is looking??
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I once worked on a person's 56J, and rebuilt the front suspension. It had fiberglass front fenders, and they were flawless. I only found out they were fiberglasss when I reached under the wheelwell lip to pull myself up from sitting on a creeper. Something just felt different, so I looked closer and discovered them. I have heard horror stories about fibrerglass panels made for Studes, but would install a set of those in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Does anyone know the history of the fiberglass front C-K fenders? My father has a 54 with them. They're great, but we don't know what the story is behind them. Thanks.
          I don't know what "story" you are seeking. I have known of several different manufacturers of C/K front fenders in fiberglass, from coast to coast. I have used a pair made in the state of Washington. I think that you can get some from NC now. They do vary a lot in thickness and fit.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, that's part of what I wanted to know. I figured there was one set of molds out there, not several. It would make an interesting article to compare them.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Classic Glass and Performance puts out a good product (see link in Dave's post above ). They have been competing in the ECTA events for a number of years with a coupe and roadster (motorcycle engine for power) and I have seen their stuff up close and it looks great.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

They have been around for at least 35 years, some with vent door, some plain. I recall buying out a Studebaker dealer inventory in the late 70's that had a set in the rafters. I thought they were steel until I got closer, sort on bummed me out.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

I purchased and used a pair in about 1971-1972 that had the vent door openings and the hinge metal and seal area for the vent doors. Most of the ones made for racing, particularly the light weight ones, do not have a provision for the side vent.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The ones I know of do have the vent opening. How long have fiberglass fenders been available?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        The ones I know of do have the vent opening. How long have fiberglass fenders been available?
                        More than four decades for C/K bodies.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                        X