PDA

View Full Version : My Stude finally road ready and reliable.

Nelsen Motorsports
10-09-2011, 12:15 AM
My 54 Studebaker has a 67 MoPar 383 which is unrebuilt. I have suspicion the heads have never even been removed. Although the engine, tranmission, and rearend are all over 40 years old and unrebuilt may seem to worry most everything is good. The engine leaks a bit of oil, but doesn't burn much and the transmission needs 1/2 qt every week or so. The engine runs on all 8 and has a plethera of power.

Oil pressure- 70 psi cruising, 40-60 in neutral, 40 in drive idling, 80 floored!

Compression- the factory specs are supposed to be 140 psi
2:140 4:138 6:150 8:140 1:137 3:137 5:135 7:135

Vacuum- 13 inches at idle, 20 when slowing down, 10-15 cruising

Water temp- unknown, but around 195. My gauge needs to be converted from mechanical to electrical.

Timing- factory setting, forgot what it should be...

What concerns me is that I have the factory valve seats and valves. Lead additive may help, but the stuck valves are inevitable. I also seem to have lower than desirable vacuum, especially for power disc brakes and I have a really soft pedal. Yes, I bled the brakes many times.

Chucks Stude
10-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Use good oil, keep it changed, and drive the car. Clean oil, that gets hot enough to burn the condensation out of it, and actually using the car will keep the valves from sticking. Your timing may be a little off, resulting in the lower than expected vacuum. You might also have a small vacuum leak somewhere. Soft pedal, are you saying it goes down a ways before it catches? That could be the reach rod adjustment.

Pat Dilling
10-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Glad to hear it is up and running. I agree on checking the timing to improve the vacuum. Where are you taking the vacuum reading?

Pat

Nelsen Motorsports
10-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Glad to hear it is up and running. I agree on checking the timing to improve the vacuum. Where are you taking the vacuum reading?

Pat

I am taking the reading from the vacuum port that is full time vacuum on the front driver's side of an Edelbrock carb.