Distributor Rebuild Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Rebuild Pics

In preparation for pulling the engine from the Hawk and subsequent transplant, I thought it might be a good idea to get it's current engine started to evaluate it's condition before finding it a new home. John Shannahan came by and we went through the drill for starting an engine in hibernation for an unknown time period. At the point in the process we tried to actually fire the engine, however, there was no fire to be had. Troubleshooting components brought us to the distributor. John's quick suggestion was to just yank it out and send it home with him where he would make repairs. Well, John never just makes repairs. Here is the next day and his results.

After the cleanup and rebuild, it goes on the Sun Machine for complete analysis and setup.
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

That distributor body looks like it was dropped.
    Is it really egg shaoed, or is that just the pic?
    Double check the cap fit, fer sure...
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Good eye Jeff. There is probably a dent in the fire wall from the dist.

Gordon

Comment

I noticed that too. I bet it's round by the time it gets on the Sun, though. John has a way with things like that.

Seems like a lot of effort for an engine/trans that's going to a new home, but the car is fairly low mileage, so I suppose it's worth the trouble. Whoever gets it won't have to worry about the distributor with all new bushings, pins, advance plate, etc.
        Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm not at all surprised. Shannahan is the man.

Comment

That cam plate looks like it needs to be replaced or welded up and machined! look at the slot and how badly it's worn. Also I would replace the advance weights with bronze bushed units. Make sure the pins holding the gear and pump shaft are in one piece. (I have seen them broken more than once).
            Also the endplay is important to be shimmed so timing is stable.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I agree, the advance weight pin holes are oblong and the slots in the cam are worn beyond being useable. I've also found that the Prestolite distributors also need new shaft bushings. Parts are available to replace the weights, bushings and shims, and fortunately the cam for a standard 259-289 distributor should be no problem to locate. Bud

Comment

Those Prestolite distributors are notorious for wear as can be seen by those worn cam slots. Also the centrifugal weights can wear so thin they they can blow out through the distributor housing at high revs. That distributor needs a donor cam with less wear or a new one with the Studebaker part # 1555509.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                MELBOURNE.

Comment

I would have found another distributor and junked this one, but to each his own.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

John has a pretty good supply of all the parts mentioned to rebuild it. No worries.
                    Jim

Comment

Yeah, those Prestolite distributors somehow break the advance plate loose, leaving one on the side of the road, with the temperature of 107 degrees, and a darn tow bill..............ask me how I know. Mine now has a Delco.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                        Yeah, those Prestolite distributors somehow break the advance plate loose, leaving one on the side of the road, with the temperature of 107 degrees, and a darn tow bill..............ask me how I know. Mine now has a Delco.
                        Good move Chuck. You may even return a marginally better MPG.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                          Cathy had this happen to her at the intersection of two state highways while driving her 1963 Daytona Wagonaire with 289 V8. A friend and I came to the rescue, towed it to his garage (closest) and then determined the problem and changed the distributor.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I went to replace the cap & rotor on my 62 Daytona this past weekend, got the parts from the local FLAPS & they were different. Now I notice on these pictures the shaft has a flat in it to position the rotor while mine has an inset with a keyway while the shaft is round on the outside. Looks like I'm gonna have to pull the distributor to see what it really is. I just assumed it was the original Prestolite.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren,
                              I don't think the 62's used the Prestolite dist. Your rotor probably looks like this?

I forget the cap number. Its the old style Delco.

Gordon S

Comment

Working...
                              X