PDA

View Full Version : Reluctant Woodruff key

Jim Beckman
06-08-2007, 01:02 PM
I pulled the timing gear off the front of the camshaft without any trouble, but now the Woodruff key doesn't want to come out of the groove on the camshaft. I'm afraid to get too forceful with it, so does anybody have any suggestions or tricks I should use here?

Jim Beckman
1951 Commander Starlight

John Kirchhoff
06-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Often times I've found if you use a punch at one end of the key and strike it downward with a hammer, the opposite end of the key will lift up. Any damage from the punch can be removed with a file and if the key is too bad for that, you better spend two bits for a new one.

r1lark
06-08-2007, 02:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jim Beckman

I pulled the timing gear off the front of the camshaft without any trouble, but now the Woodruff key doesn't want to come out of the groove on the camshaft. I'm afraid to get too forceful with it, so does anybody have any suggestions or tricks I should use here?

Jim Beckman
1951 Commander Starlight

Jim, tap one end with a brass drift and hammer. When the other end pops up, get up under it with either a smaller brass drift or a small screwdriver to continue tapping it up.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

Jim Beckman
06-09-2007, 12:37 PM
OK, I got it out. I had to use a small cold chisel to get
a good enough grip on it after I popped one end up, so the
key needs to be replaced, but I guess that won't break the
bank.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Jim Beckman
Leonardo, NJ
1951 Commander Starlight

rrausch
06-09-2007, 11:45 PM
I've also sanded keys a small amount on the sides, using 220 grit wet-or-dry. You definitely don't want to sand them so much they are loose, but a small amount of sanding on a tight key helps.

1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.