Interior upholstery ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior upholstery ideas

I am looking for some pics of cool upholstery ideas you folks have used. I am debating a few ideas. Since I am not going all OE style I am wishy washy on whether i want to use vinyl or cloth fabric seat faces with vinyl. I was thinking some diamond tuck n roll or some rib stitching on vinyl. But then I thought I might go with a bit more comfortable cloth fabric with a cool pattern like a herring bone or plaid pattern.

I am looking for a period correct type of mod. Something someone might have done back in say the 1960's.

I was considering a pillow top style like a Caddy had in the 70's, but there is not a ton of leg room in the C-cab so I dont think I want to make the back too thick and push me farther forward.

Pics?

The neat thing about C-cabs is their utilitarian simple elegance. Those bench seats may not be meant to be lived in but are sufficient in their own right. Since they are so simple, any good local upholstery shop should be able to cover them for you. I would consult with a shop and look for a durable fabric, (vinyl, cloth, leather) and shoot for a comfortable material that is easy to clean and has good enough "flex memory" to keep its shape. As for patterns, stick to basic color coding for your truck and avoid fancy stitching that will snag, wear, or tear and avoid tucks and creases that will gather dirt and trash.

This will also be a good time to inspect for broken springs and make repairs before recovering.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

QUOTE=kmac530;581806]I am looking for some pics of cool upholstery ideas you folks have used. I am debating a few ideas. Since I am not going all OE style I am wishy washy on whether i want to use vinyl or cloth fabric seat faces with vinyl. I was thinking some diamond tuck n roll or some rib stitching on vinyl. But then I thought I might go with a bit more comfortable cloth fabric with a cool pattern like a herring bone or plaid pattern.

I am looking for a period correct type of mod. Something someone might have done back in say the 1960's.

I was considering a pillow top style like a Caddy had in the 70's, but there is not a ton of leg room in the C-cab so I dont think I want to make the back too thick and push me farther forward.

Pics?[/QUOTE]

Here's my stock C cab cover, but you can go nuts if you like. BTW, custom stitching will add about $100 to the normal $180 cost. It's better to go with the less expensive vertical pleats in cloth or vinyl. The other picture is a period correct tweed insert.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2R.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1670781 Click image for larger version

Name:	Falmouth.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1670782
      Attached Files
      Last edited by JDP; 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Go to the bone yard and find a great looking seat from a donor. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
          Go to the bone yard and find a great looking seat from a donor. jimmijim

Best idea yet. For the price of new covers you could have a all leather, power bench seat from a luxury car. Grab a tape measure and go shopping. You can keep the stock seat for later.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I have thought about the wrecking yard idea, barely any WY's here in our area at all, they leak oil on the ground and that is a HUGE fine in Cali.

I am building this truck with a wierd concept in mind. I am not doing the rat rod thing, but I am not doing OE or Hot rod either...kinda going for kid from the 60s gets his first vehichle and trys to trick it out a bit but it is still a '52 stude 3/4 ton ranch truck kinda thing. Lowered, v8, exhaust, minimalist everything....but a few cool bits like he is in mid build ...make any sense?

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
              I have thought about the wrecking yard idea, barely any WY's here in our area at all, they leak oil on the ground and that is a HUGE fine in Cali.

I am building this truck with a wierd concept in mind. I am not doing the rat rod thing, but I am not doing OE or Hot rod either...kinda going for kid from the 60s gets his first vehichle and trys to trick it out a bit but it is still a '52 stude 3/4 ton ranch truck kinda thing. Lowered, v8, exhaust, minimalist everything....but a few cool bits like he is in mid build ...make any sense?
              Makes sense to me, but I'm a 21 year old kid that sometimes thinks it's the 60's. My '57 wagon will keep it's crappy black and white paint for now, but will be lowered with wide white bias plys, black steelie wheels and a loud set of duals. I've already got the black and white pleated interior traded for some stainless trim repair.

I like your idea, but then again I just really like 50's-60's themed custom touches.

Comment

Even a place as wacky as California has some "pick n pull" yards because other members here have discussed them.

However, just hop on Craigslist and advertise for one of those never used third seats for a mini van that lots of folks are tripping over in their storage sheds and garages. I have seen some that look as if they would bolt in a C-cab with very little modification. Also, I have seen some with upholstery that looked as corny as anything you could buy in the '60's.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Period correct is what Im aiming for. To go to a WY and get a '99 Buick regal seat {or whatever} may look nice and be comfy but just not what I am going for. A kid in the 60s would recover it or get one from a WY from that era. Any seat I would find from this non-existant So Cal WY from a 60s car would need re-upholstery anyway, so I am going to just redo mine I think since that is a viable option. I know a guy who will fully repad and reupholster it for about 2 bills here locally and my springs and frame look good...best option for me, I was just looking for some fabric ideas. Still am

Comment

JDP,
                    I'm a gluttin for doing it the hard way. I found the twin of your pleated 492 red unpleated at Joan's and spent hours pleating it myself on the wife's Singer for my Champ. I started to rebuild the springs... but then bought a 63 Lark 4 door for the seat frame. Half a brain and I'd have let you do it right instead of breaking my arm pounding my back bragging I did it all myself!! The bonus, it would be done in weeks instead of months.
                    months. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03115.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1670783Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03112.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1670784

Comment

I love the pleating and ribbing on this seat...

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.

Thinking about doing a pattern cloth fabric in the pleated area.

Comment

Could always follow the lead of American Motors in the sixties and cover your seats in a fine Moroccan brocade.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                          Could always follow the lead of American Motors in the sixties and cover your seats in a fine Moroccan brocade.
                          Or the AMC LEVI denim look...lol

Cultural Infidel: I already have a complete OE seat that just needs reupholstery. Every seat you posted needs reupholstery. Defeats the purpose right? Most of those would have been brand new or not made yet in early 60's which is the period I am looking to replicate. Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just looking for period correct fabrics and patterns.

Jclary: Same comments for you as CI, dont want anything new like a mini van seat. Yes there are pick n pulls in So Cal, but few and far between and I only have a motorcycle currently for my day to day transpo. I can use my wifes car to drop off and pick up from a local upholsterer, but as an OnCall RN at the hospital it is hard to take her car the 70 miles or so to the PnP yards.

Thanks for the ideas, but just looking more for interesting period correct early 60s fabrics and stiching patterns.

Comment

Where are you at in Lake smellsomeore ? LOL,

I'm just own the road inMurrieta.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                            X