Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1968 Mustang power disc MC on a 1962 Lark, what booster will work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 1968 Mustang power disc MC on a 1962 Lark, what booster will work?

Note I'm still repowering my 1962 Lark with a belly button motor (350 Chevy) so finishing up the disc brake conversion is later on. That stated; since I already installed a new dual master cylinder for a 1968 Mustang disc brake car application; what booster will work, assuming the pedal effort is too high?
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I had a 62 ragtop that I used my disc kit on, along with a 68 Mustang M/C, NO power booster. Pedal effort was minimal.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
      I had a 62 ragtop that I used my disc kit on, along with a 68 Mustang M/C, NO power booster. Pedal effort was minimal.

Jim
      Cool. My sedan probably weighs within 100 lbs of your 1962 Vert.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

My 54 wagon stops very nicely with four wheel disc and "no" booster..

Why waste you money and space when you don't have to.

A 1" piston will activate a normal set of four calipers with the effort that just about anyone but a 2 year old can handle.
        Not too hard, not too easy. Easy to modulate/control.

Just what I did in my wagon, and very happy with the results.

Mike

Comment

If it fits...

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
          Note I'm still repowering my 1962 Lark with a belly button motor (350 Chevy) so finishing up the disc brake conversion is later on. That stated; since I already installed a new dual master cylinder for a 1968 Mustang disc brake car application; what booster will work, assuming the pedal effort is too high?

I just acquied a '60 Lark which I plan on doing about the same thing with. I don't yet know what is needed to convert the front to disc brakes, but I do know I'll need a proportioning valve and a dual MC. As for the booster you need, go to a Junk yard and start looking at the Ford stuff. They will all pretty much fit the MC you have. It would probably be just as easy to get the whole booster and MC together. The big problem may be size and fit. The Ford Rangers and Explorers have a rather compact booster.

I am curious what you found to convert to disc brakes. I wonder if the same thing applies to my '60 Lark???

In the past I have found that manual disc brakes are not all that much fun.

If you are still looking form something when I get around to that part I'll let you know what I found. I still have the 289 Studebaker V8 which I think may take up more room than your GM 350. If I can find something to fit it, then itb ought to work for you. I have an Explorer booster with an MC on it somewhere if I can find it. If I can I'll make some measurements. I can't help but think there will be some kind of mods to make though.

Later...

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dave boley View Post

I just acquied a '60 Lark which I plan on doing about the same thing with. I don't yet know what is needed to convert the front to disc brakes, but I do know I'll need a proportioning valve and a dual MC. As for the booster you need, go to a Junk yard and start looking at the Ford stuff. They will all pretty much fit the MC you have. It would probably be just as easy to get the whole booster and MC together. The big problem may be size and fit. The Ford Rangers and Explorers have a rather compact booster.

I am curious what you found to convert to disc brakes. I wonder if the same thing applies to my '60 Lark???

In the past I have found that manual disc brakes are not all that much fun.

If you are still looking form something when I get around to that part I'll let you know what I found. I still have the 289 Studebaker V8 which I think may take up more room than your GM 350. If I can find something to fit it, then itb ought to work for you. I have an Explorer booster with an MC on it somewhere if I can find it. If I can I'll make some measurements. I can't help but think there will be some kind of mods to make though.

Later...

Dave

www.turnerbrake.com/ His kits cover 1951-66 Studes as well as Avantis till ca. 1985; all of the above are kingpin cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
              www.turnerbrake.com/ His kits cover 1951-66 Studes as well as Avantis till ca. 1985; all of the above are kingpin cars.
              Not to jack the thread, but does anyone actually have this kit installed? At least just the brackets, because I have been considering that route since it seems pretty easy. Also on the turner site he lists a MC that works with the disk kit, maybe he can tell you what it is out of.

Comment

Working...
              X