PDA

View Full Version : If I were to, mind you, just IF....

MagikDraggin
06-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Yes, IF I were to entertain the idea of installing a round chrome air cleaner on my 62 Hawk with the WCFB 4bbl carb and 4 7/32" opening, where do you suppose I'd be most likely to find something like that?

So far every place I have checked with SAYS they have air cleaners that will fit, but when it comes right down to finding out for sure, either the opening is faaar to big, or the bottom place comes in contact with the choke, or they have someones moniker stamped into the top cover, such as Edelbrock or Moroso, etc.

I'd rather not mess with Ebay, due to the near impossibility of ever getting my money back if what they are hawking (no pun intended) doesn't fit.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Karl

JDP
06-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Just use the plastic adapter made by Mr Gasket and others to use the late air cleaner with your carb.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

DEEPNHOCK
06-08-2007, 01:27 PM
C'mon...
We welcome you into the nineties;)
Just go to www.summitracing.com and type in air filter adapter in the search box... You'll see 75 of them.
The one you want is on page 2.
Then search the air filter section to find one that is blank.
If you don't like Summit, try Jeg's, or PAW, or Speedway, or ...
Jeff[8D]

MagikDraggin
06-08-2007, 10:12 PM
JDP and DEEPNHOCK "Welcome to the ninety's, ehh? That's funny.

Back when I used to own cars that came from the factory with WCFB 4bbl carbs on them, all I had to do was go down to Pep Boys and pick up a chrome air cleaner, no pro blema.

Then when the "newer" cars came out with AFB's and the like on them, I went down to Pep Boys and picked up a chrome air cleaner for them no pro blema.

But today, no one, and I mean NO one in town had the slightest clue how to make a "universal" air cleaner, that states right on the box that it will fit a 4 7/32 AND a 5 1/8 air horn, fit a carb that was NOT 5 1/8".

And not ONE of these counter-jockey's ever thought of suggesting that I needed to buy an adaptor. (You'd THINK it would come in the box with the air cleaner), but no, that's be too easy. And yes, I definitely had a "senior moment" myself, for not thinking of it.:D

Even when I got the part number from the Mr Gasket website, only ONE parts store in town had one in stock.

Anyway, thanks JDP, that was what I needed and now the engine comp is "dressed up" a little for cruise-in's just to show off. For car shows where they still have a sense of originality, I put the stock air cleaner back on.

"Welcome to the nineties", hahahaha, have I really been out of touch that long? Just kiddin wid ya DEEPNHOCK. Thanks also for the info.

Karl

DEEPNHOCK
06-08-2007, 11:21 PM
We're all here to help ya!;)
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by MagikDraggin

JDP and DEEPNHOCK "Welcome to the ninety's, ehh? That's funny.
<snip>
"Welcome to the nineties", hahahaha, have I really been out of touch that long? Just kiddin wid ya DEEPNHOCK. Thanks also for the info.
Karl

bowhawk
05-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Does anyone else in here "see" an echo