PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Hooliganism

junior
10-02-2011, 05:31 PM
So today my wife wants to go shopping at the mall, something I hate to do (even on the coldest winter days), let alone on a Sunday….so she talks me into driving the Studebaker. After twisting my arm I decide ok, I’ll drop her off at the mall and go for a drive. Had a nice Sunday drive, return to the mall and the boss isn’t done. While waiting, I decide to drive around the parkade and see how many car alarms the Stude can trigger…well not too much success, only managed to set off two, usually I can do better than that. So I decide to drive up to the top level of the parkade and take in some sun. Well nobody was around (so I thought), so I rev the engine, drop the clutch a lay down two nasty 15ft. black stripes, quick shift to second with a short tire chirp, and then backed-off, well to my surprise there was a granny in her gold Trail Blazer sitting there shaking her finger at me, and I mean really shaking her finger at me for like 10 seconds…..ooopppps. Feeling sheepish, I backed in to a corner spot of the parkade, shut the car off and turned on the radio. Radio wasn’t working…well it was turning on but there was no music, so figuring the antenna wire became disconnected, I stuck my head under the dash to reconnect it. While my head is under the dash, I hear the rump-rump of an American v-8, so I pop my head up to see a mid 80’s Cutlass with a woman jumping out of the passenger door with a camera in her hand. She approaches me and says “Sir, do you mind if I take a photo of your Jaguar?” I respond with a “no problem, you can take a photo of my Studebaker”…she responds with “oh, I really thought it was a Jag” (wow, Jag??? that’s a new one for me)
All in all, a fun afternoon of being somewhat irresponsible…ps, on the way home I merge onto a major road from a stoplight….55oo rpm first gear, 55oo rpm second gear, winding it out in 3rd gear …wind is really starting to whistle through the vent window seals, exhaust echoing off the retaining wall…I look over at my wife and yell “oh man I love that sound”…she’s not impressed…”I hate when you do this” was her only response…oh boy, tail between my legs again, time to put the car away until next weekend. Hope you all had a good Stude day. Regards, Junior.

Bob Andrews
10-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Never mind the naysayers. What you did was known as "enjoying life"!

At least to us fully living;)

I say, good for you!:)

Bill Pressler
10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Never mind the naysayers. What you did was known as "enjoying life"!

At least to us fully living;)

I say, good for you!:)

I'm in agreement with Bob on this!

j.byrd
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM
HA !!! Junior, ALL that sounds good, I'm jealous cause when I nail or rev the Ranchero, not much happens and no one notices, ha ! Keep at it, us "hot rodders" have to keep up our reputation, cool story, John

FlatheadGeo
10-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Bravo!!!!!!

SilverHawkDan
10-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Junior,
I had a similar experience without the finger wag. I drove the camper to work yesterday. On the way home a late model foreign car tried to beat me to a lane ending spot in the road. I thought I would put a little shock in the guy driving the foreign job. So when we got close I put my foot in it in second gear. Shifted at 4000 and it was pulling hard. I need to make a video of the sound of this 289 with my custom designed exhaust system. It sounds real healthy to say the least. When we got to the next light the guy was eyeing the camper that had cleaned his clock. I just smiled.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p56/dieselguy2006/Bonneville%202011%20World%20of%20Speed/DSCF4177.jpg

Pat Dilling
10-02-2011, 07:29 PM
What a buncha non-juvenile delinquents! I love it. Another case of Studebakers keeping one young.

BobPalma
10-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Is there a problem? Everything here seems perfectly normal. <GGG> BP

rockinhawk
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
When I lived in J'Ville Fla. I lived 4 miles from work. one day I was driving my Sky Hawk down the X-way heading home, running a normal speed of 70+ when a Datsun 1600 blew past me. WELL, I was not going to stand for that!! I poured the coal to the 289 and chased him down and passed him. I was half way to St.Augustine when i caught him but I proved my point.

tempestan
10-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Junior:

Sounds like real fun to me. Glad you shared with us. On occasion, I do similar things, looking for law enforcement first. A few moths ago, I let my truck loose for a few seconds.........cop came behind me, from nowhere. Lighted me up, and as I was slowing, to pull over, he turned the lights off and went around me. At a light about 4 blocks later, he just gave me a "thumbs up" and smoked the cop car tires a small amount, and was gone. Sure feels good.......but was really worried about a ticket for "display of speed and power".

tempestan

JRoberts
10-02-2011, 09:17 PM
We have a member in our chapter who has a beautiful '56 Power Hawk. It is red and white and always attracts attention when the chapter gathers. During a road rally we had several yearst ago another member was lost and so asked for some directions from a the proprietor of a small country store out in the middle of nowhere. His question was, "Have you seen any Studebakers around?" "No," was the response, "but there is a nice red and white Jaguar that has passed here a few times." Of course the "Jaguar" turned out to be the aforementioned Power Hawk. We tease its owner frequently even now about his Jaguar.

jgrohs
10-02-2011, 09:54 PM
seeing how many car alarms your Studebaker can set off in a parking lot. COOL! gotta try that out!!

Andy R.
10-02-2011, 10:32 PM
…I look over at my wife and yell “oh man I love that sound”…she’s not impressed…”I hate when you do this” was her only response…oh boy, tail between my legs again, time to put the car away until next weekend. Hope you all had a good Stude day. Regards, Junior.

Great story. Great car. FWIW, the tapered tail of an XJ6 is quite similar to the C-K, especially in rapid motion!
You might consider a small magnetic sign "Shopping Mall Shuttle" for the passenger door to remind her how happy you are to help out.

woodysrods
10-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Sandi wants to know if you went to the "New Mall" in Airdrie????
Good Roads
Brian
PS
My Sunday consisted of getting up early, taking the Sudebaker out for a run to the US to pick up Studebaker parts purchased on ebay for Sandi's Hawk.
Then back up to Oliver for the Sudebaker Drivers Club meeting and turkey dinner.
Then back to Osoyoos to the Drags. It was Club challenge weekend and I was holding the purse money.
Then back on the road heading north for Ice cream, followed by a liesurely drive home along the lake.
Just another 300 plus miles on the odometer and a full belly!

clonelark
10-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Guess i'm a Studebaker Hooligan now, along with being a CASO.

crashnzuk
10-03-2011, 03:37 AM
My wife doesn't see the fun in WOT blasts either, good thing she doesn't see how I treat "her" car on occasion ("her" car would be the 01 Mustang Bullitt that I drive everyday but was originally bought new for her). Sounds like a good day.
Travis..

8E45E
10-03-2011, 07:00 AM
So today my wife wants to go shopping at the mall, something I hate to do (even on the coldest winter days), let alone on a Sunday….So I decide to drive up to the top level of the parkade and take in some sun. Well nobody was around (so I thought), so I rev the engine, drop the clutch a lay down two nasty 15ft. black stripes, quick shift to second with a short tire chirp, and then backed-off, well to my surprise there was a granny in her gold Trail Blazer sitting there shaking her finger at me, and I mean really shaking her finger at me for like 10 seconds…..ooopppps.

I would have told her that's a smoke signal to let your wife know "Time's UP!"

Craig