PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of Studebakers in the Nov. Hot Rod Deluxe Issue

Bordeaux Daytona
10-02-2011, 02:06 PM
I picked up a copy on Friday night.

In the index there's a two page picture of a drag strip in Northern Nevada in 1957. There's four cars racing at the same time using an early starting light.

At the far right there's a 56 Studebaker non C/K 2dr sedan, I can't tell if it's a President or Commander. maybe it had a 289 in it.

Page 12 has a Zip Van with torque thrusts on it.

Page 17 has a picture of a nice black 53 with polished torque thrust wheels on it.

And page 48 has a couple of pictures of a custom 55 photographed back in 57 with some advanced electronics in it. The owner was college instructor James P. Butler. There was an article about it in the Mar. 58 issue of Hot Rod called Robot Rod.

I'll have to look harder, there's probably more Studes in there. They usually have some in each issue.
John

Dan Timberlake
11-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Here's some of the article and some pix of James P Butler's car. It has some "interesting" styling for sure.

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=James_P._Butler%27s_1955_Studebaker

StudeDave57
11-26-2013, 09:09 PM
In the index there's a two page picture of a drag strip in Northern Nevada in 1957. There's four cars racing at the same time using an early starting light.
At the far right there's a 56 Studebaker non C/K 2dr sedan, I can't tell if it's a President or Commander. maybe it had a 289 in it.
Sounds like the same picture I am looking at right now.
It's clearly a '56 President 2 door sedan vs two '55/6 Chevys vs an Olds of the same vintage.
That two tone paint 'pattern' gives the car away as a President.
The copy I have here is part of an article about 2640 foot drags.
It can be found in the March 2002 issue of Hot Rod.

StudeDave '57 :cool:

Chris Pile
11-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Man! I'll have to pick that up!