60 Lark - project update and pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Lark - project update and pics

Hey there! I just want to say THANKS so much for all of your help and expertise here on the forum!!! You guys have been so helpful every time we've had questions on our project and the wealth of knowledge in past posts has kept me busy reading in the early morning hours before it's light enough to get out there and work on the car. (my family thinks I'm nuts, getting up at 4 every day to read all this stuff, hee hee!)

We bought the 60 Lark about two months ago and after LOTS of hours of sanding, grinding, welding, fixing .... we're finally laying on some paint! YEAH!!! I know you asked for pics, so here goes nothin'....

Here's the before:

Here's the update:

This is our first time ever owning a vintage car and WOW - it's been so much fun!!!! Actually, a lot of firsts .... first time welding, painting a car, body work ..... the learning has been really exciting, especially having the people on this forum as a resource. I know when we get stuck, we can come here, so thanks again!

Hope you like the pics ... we'll be putting on the white here in the next couple of days (fingers crossed).

Michelle
    '60 Lark Hardtop, Red Bluff, CA
    sigpic

As an owner of a Lark similar to this one, I LOVE IT!

Don't be shy, give us the details! Particularly the paint. What'd you use, how'd you do it, all that good stuff. What motor are you planning to put in?

Looking very nice, the two tone should come out great.

Comment

Plan Comes Together

I love it when a plan comes together cheers jimmijim
      Originally posted by ColsCommander View Post

Don't be shy, give us the details! Particularly the paint. What'd you use, how'd you do it, all that good stuff. What motor are you planning to put in?

sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by ColsCommander View Post

WOO HOO! Thanks! The paint guy recommended Nason Ful-Thane 2K Urethane. It went on soooooo nice and it's got a lot of gloss and depth. The colors are cherry red and snow white and I think it's really going to pop when we get the white on.

The car has the original 259 engine in it. The wiring was shot when we got it and we have a new harness on its way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will start when we get everything connected. My dad and husband are teaching me how to work on it and I'm totally into being a "grease girl" so that's been really fun!!!!

Hmmmm, let's see, what other details are there... the car had some small areas of cancer on the fenders (from what I've read on here, that's pretty standard). My husband was able to take some sheet steel and form it exactly like the old part, cut out the cancer and welded it back in. After he was done, you couldn't even tell there was a new piece added in! I think he has this stuff in his blood, because he did an amazing job on the body work. The floor pans were great, only a little surface rust, so that was good.

It's been really great getting to know everyone here on the forum and becoming a member of SDC! Once we get the car up and running, it will be my daily driver. I love the thought of cruising around in something that has some real soul to it, cuz they really DON'T make 'em like they used to.
        sigpic

Comment

Michelle:

You don't mess around: that's a heck of a lot of work done in just two months! Lookin' good.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
            Michelle:

You don't mess around: that's a heck of a lot of work done in just two months! Lookin' good.
            Thanks! We're on a mission to get it done and running by Thanksgiving when all the family is here so we can take it for a spin. Kind of a lofty goal, but we're keeping our fingers crossed. I found a super nice guy with an upholstery shop here in town that will totally re-do the front and back seats for me and I think the price is good. He estimated $750 for the job ... do you know if that's a good price? That's probably the next thing we'll tackle.
            sigpic

Comment

You come a long way! I can't wait to see more, great work, and good luck!

Comment

Michelle,
                Boy, you accomplished a lot so far. My car is a '59 Lark Hardtop. It's a good looking car and you will thouroughly enjoy driving your car. Keep up the good work. I really like the color.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	GTnterior.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1670770
                  Originally posted by michelle View Post
                  Thanks! We're on a mission to get it done and running by Thanksgiving when all the family is here so we can take it for a spin. Kind of a lofty goal, but we're keeping our fingers crossed. I found a super nice guy with an upholstery shop here in town that will totally re-do the front and back seats for me and I think the price is good. He estimated $750 for the job ... do you know if that's a good price? That's probably the next thing we'll tackle.
                  I can provide the covers for less than half that, but if you can't install them yourself, you would not save much. Maybe do pleated white vinyl inserts with bright red trim. Something like these, but picture white pleats with the red trim. $340 to your door.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Memories of my 2nd Stude, a '62 2 door hard top, that I wish I had back. Only regret on that one, "previously owned by an old maid school teacher..." was that it was a weak 6 that needed a re-build way too soon.

Comment

It is great to learn of your restoration. Am very happy to know of another Female owner of a 1960 Lark! Please keep sending pics of your car.

Lark VIII girl

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]11467[/ATTACH]

I can provide the covers for less than half that, but if you can't install them yourself, you would not save much. Maybe do pleated white vinyl inserts with bright red trim. Something like these, but picture white pleats with the red trim. $340 to your door.
                        Thanks JDP! The seats need to be completely overhauled though (a few broken springs, new padding, etc). Jim (my hubby) and I weren't too sure we could do that part and make it look right ourselves without any practice. The guy here in town is going to totally re-do them for around $750. Wish you were here closer... I've read some nice comments about your work!!

Michelle
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lark8girl View Post
                          It is great to learn of your restoration. Am very happy to know of another Female owner of a 1960 Lark! Please keep sending pics of your car.

Lark VIII girl
                          WOW, I really like your car! Looks like lots of fun! Nice to see another girl ... thanks for sharing your pic.
                          sigpic

Comment

I admire your ambition and enthusiasm, keep up the good work!
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by michelle View Post
                              WOW, I really like your car! Looks like lots of fun! Nice to see another girl ... thanks for sharing your pic.
                              Actually; there are several women in this site with one (or more) Stude(s). Anne Goodman and Alyssa come to mind.
                              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X