Why an IDYSD???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why an IDYSD???

In another thread on this very Forum we were able to trace IDYSD down to WHO got the ball rolling and WHENWHY???

What was the intended purpose of an IDYSD?

Has that purpose changed or expanded since then?

Please, all civil opinions/comments/suggestions are most welcome!

I drive mine everyday, so I do not understand people that don't.

Comment

I believe the idea was along these lines:
      * We are, as the name of the club states, a Drivers club.
      * Our membership is aging, and there are a lot of Studebakers out there sitting in garages, going nowhere most of the time.
      * The general public is either ignorant or uninformed about Studebakers
      * If we put as many as possible on the road all at once, it may help people become more aware of our favored marque.

...or something like that.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by stude-sled View Post
        I drive mine everyday, so I do not understand people that don't.
        same here- since 'round about 1991- give or take a year or three...

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
        I believe the idea was along these lines:
        * We are, as the name of the club states, a Drivers club.
        * Our membership is aging, and there are a lot of Studebakers out there sitting in garages, going nowhere most of the time.
        * The general public is either ignorant or uninformed about Studebakers
        * If we put as many as possible on the road all at once, it may help people become more aware of our favored marque.

...or something like that.
        That sounds about right Clark- and for those very reasons why it needs to
        be a 'stand alone event' NOT tied to any other SDC event or function!!!!
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Idysd

Why Not? I agree with Clark's comments... anything that promotes our vehicles and driving them is a good thing.
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
            Why Not? I agree with Clark's comments... anything that promotes our vehicles and driving them is a good thing.
            Mark, you beat me to it...........why not????
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The answer is simple, to promote Studebakers and to promote the SDC. For those who driveStudebakers every day, I tip my hat to you guys because you do a great deal of promoting all the time. The flip side of that is many of us can't drive one everyday. I live in northern Indiana, as much as I'd like to, I won't take my '40 out when there is a foot of snow on the road. Though it could probably handle it, the salt would eat the frame. The other reason is I know of several people who may have a deacent, roadworthy Studebaker hidden away in their barn with no real intention to get it out and drive it; here's the cance to get that car out and enjoy it. Plus, it's just kinda cool knowing that hundreds of other Studebakers are being driven at the same time all over the world. And, again, why not?
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

As with any "collector" car many people choose to store them and "protect" them most of the time. But giving people a good, valid, reason to get it out and drive it is good. Now SHOULD they drive it much more often? Sure. But in reality many don't.

I have always noticed too that when people are working on a project, when they have specific date they need to get it done by, they ofeten seem to push to make that. If there is no goal to reach for, sometimes things sit longer than they might otherwise.

We have a local car show here in Temecula every year, used to be twice a year but they cut it back to once a year, and I know alot of guys who have been building a car that was taking a long time and then they made a commitment to themselves that they would have it ready for the NEXT Rod Run, and often they did. So a specific IDYSD may motivate a push to finish some folks. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                X